Regional Determinants of Entrepreneurship in a Small Economy: Panel Data Evidence from Scotland
This paper analyses the spatial variation of new entrepreneurial activity across 32 Scottish regions for the period 1998-2007. Entrepreneurship is widely recognised as a key determinant of economic growth, regional prosperity and sustainable development. Using data from the Value Added Tax (VAT) register, this paper estimates spatial variation in new entrepreneurial activity using a panel data model. Results show that there is considerable variation in entrepreneurship across Scottish regions and that this variation may be explained by demand and supply factors, policy and cultural factors and agglomeration benefits. Given that Scotland has recently suffered from low levels of entrepreneurship compared with other parts of the UK and similar sized smaller countries, this paper provides relevant and timely findings, as Scotland attempts to recover from the recent recession.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Florida & Zoltan Acs & Sam Youl Lee, 2004.
"Creativity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis of New Firm Formation,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2004-17, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Sam Youl Lee & Richard Florida & Zoltan Acs, 2004. "Creativity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis of New Firm Formation," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 879-891.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Stuart S. Rosenthal & William C, Strange, 2010.
"Urban Economics and Entrepreneurship,"
in: Cities and Entrepreneurship
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johnson, Peter & Conway, Cheryl, 1997. " How Good Are the U.K. VAT Registration Data at Measuring Firm Births?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(5), pages 403-09, October.
- André van Stel & Niels Bosma & Kashifa Suddle, 2006. "The Geography of New Firm Formation: Evidence from Independent Start-ups and New Subsidiaries in the Netherlands," Scales Research Reports H200615, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Christine Tamasy, 2006. "Determinants of regional entrepreneurship dynamics in contemporary Germany: A conceptual and empirical analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 365-384.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2005.
"Latent and actual entrepreneurship in Europe and the US: some recent developments,"
Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy
2005-24, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Roy Thurik & Isabel Grilo, 2006. "Latent and actual entrepreneurship in Europe and the US: some recent developments," Scales Research Reports N200514, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Erik Stam, 2009.
"Entrepreneurship, Evolution and Geography,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
0913, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Sep 2009.
- Christine Tamásy & Richard Le Heron, 2008. "The Geography Of Firm Formation In New Zealand," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 99(1), pages 37-52, 02.
- Yuko Aoyama, 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Regional Culture: The Case of Hamamatsu and Kyoto, Japan," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(3), pages 495-512.
- Israel M. Kirzner, 1997. "Entrepreneurial Discovery and the Competitive Market Process: An Austrian Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 60-85, March.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Armington, Catherine, 2004.
"The impact of geographic differences in human capital on service firm formation rates,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 244-278, September.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Catherine Armington, 2004. "The Impact of Geographic Differences in Human Capital on Service Firm Formation Rates," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-15, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Hannu Tervo, 2008. "Self-employment transitions and alternation in Finnish rural and urban labour markets," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(1), pages 55-76, 03.
- Martin Andersson & Sierdjan Koster, 2011.
"Sources of persistence in regional start-up rates--evidence from Sweden,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 179-201, January.
- Andersson, Martin & Koster, Sierdjan, 2009. "Sources of Persistence in Regional Start-Up Rates - evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 177, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Aki Kangasharju, 2000. "Regional variations in firm formation: Panel and cross-section data evidence from Finland," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 79(4), pages 355-373.
- P. Mueller, 2006. "Entrepreneurship in the Region: Breeding Ground for Nascent Entrepreneurs?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 41-58, August.
- Miyase Yesim Köksal, 2003. "Regional Variation in New Firm Formation in Turkey: Cross-Section and Panel Data Evidence," ERSA conference papers ersa03p263, European Regional Science Association.
- Su-wan Wang, 2006. "Determinants of New Firm Formation in Taiwan," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 313-321, December.
- Beaudry, Catherine & Schiffauerova, Andrea, 2009. "Who's right, Marshall or Jacobs? The localization versus urbanization debate," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 318-337, March.
- Vinod Sutaria & Donald A. Hicks, 2004. "New firm formation: Dynamics and determinants," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 241-262, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa11p848. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.