A typology of foreign auction markets in sub-Saharan Africa
The authors compare and contrast the design and outcomes of different foreign exchange auctions in four countries in sub-Saharan Africa and present a typology of such auctions. They identify two distinct sets of countries in terms of the auctions'features, policy interventions, and outcomes. In Ghana and Uganda, the exchange rate auctions are judged to have been largely on target in exchange rate unification, exchange rate stabilization,and efficient allocation of foreign exchange. The auctions in Nigeria and Zambia, on the other hand, were subject to frequent policy interventions, resulting in unsustainable auctions, inefficient allocation of foreign exchange (through ad hoc disqualifications), limited unification, and a rather volatile exchange rate. The conclusions reached by the authors are broadly corroborated by a statistical analysis of weekly micro-auction data for all four countries.
|Date of creation:||31 Dec 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 141-220
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Perron, P., 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomics should know about unit roots," Papers 360, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Campbell, John & Perron, Pierre, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots," Scholarly Articles 3374863, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Technical Working Papers 0100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aron, Janine & Elbadawi, Ibrahim A., 1992. "Parallel markets, the foreign exchange auction, and exchange rate unification in Zambia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 909, The World Bank.
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:1395. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.