Labor market policy research for developing countries : recent examples from the literature - what do we know and what should we know?
This paper documents recent advances of research on labor market institutions, behavior, and policies in developing countries and makes suggestions for future research. The four areas of research analyzed are: i) theoretical and empirical implications of employment protection legislation on labor outcomes; ii) the issue of shifting from job to worker protection, namely, the different alternatives to severance pay: unemployment insurance and unemployment insurance savings accounts and their application to developing countries; iii) the effect of active labor market programs, particularly of training, on labor market outcomes; and iv) the causes and consequences of informality in the labor market, with special emphasis on the efforts to model the informal sector. The focus of the four sections is on theoretical and empirical work on published in the last five to seven years, and each one concludes with new directions for future research.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markus Poschke, 2006.
"Employment Protection, Firm Selection, and Growth,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2006/35, European University Institute.
- Tito Boeri & J.Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, 2003.
"Protecting Against Labour Market Risk: Employment Protection or Unemployment Benefits?,"
239, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Tito Boeri & J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, . "Protecting Against Labour Market Risk: Employment Protection or Unemployment Benefits?," Working Papers 2003-17, FEDEA.
- Boeri, Tito & Conde-Ruiz, J. Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2003. "Protecting Against Labour Market Risk: Employment Protection or Unemployment Benefits?," IZA Discussion Papers 834, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Boeri, Tito & Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2003. "Protecting Against Labour Market Risk: Employment Protection or Unemployment Benefits?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David H. Autor & William R. Kerr & Adriana D. Kugler, 2007. "Does Employment Protection Reduce Productivity? Evidence From US States," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(521), pages 189-217, 06.
- Jan C. van Ours & Milan Vodopivec, 2006. "How Shortening the Potential Duration of Unemployment Benefits Affects the Duration of Unemployment: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 351-378, April.
- Nopo, Hugo & Valenzuela, Patricio, 2007.
"Becoming an Entrepreneur,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2716, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hugo Ñopo & Patricio Valenzuela, 2007. "Becoming an Entrepreneur," Research Department Publications 4519, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Patricio Valenzuela & Hugo R. Ñopo, 2007. "Becoming an Entrepreneur," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6844, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006.
"Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions,"
OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers
35, OECD Publishing.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "Employment Patterns in OECD Countries: Reassessing the Role of Policies and Institutions," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 486, OECD Publishing.
- David De Ferranti & Guillermo E. Perry & Indermit Gill & J. Luis Guasch & William F. Maloney & Carolina Sanchez-Paramo & Norbert Schady, 2003. "Closing the Gap in Education and Technology," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15168, March.
- David Card & Pablo Ibarraran & Ferdinando Regalia & David Rosas & Yuri Soares, 2007. "The Labor Market Impacts of Youth Training in the Dominican Republic: Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 12883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:hdnspu:52999. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.