Demographic Change and Transport Needs in the Waikato Region
This report has been commissioned by Environment Waikato (EW) as part of its review of the Land Transport Strategy for the Waikato Region. The report identifies key population characteristics that impact on transport needs of the EW region and the constituent Territorial Authority (TA) areas. In this context, vulnerable locations and populations are identified. Future trends for the EW region and sub-regions are assessed by means of low, medium and high population growth scenarios, and the implications of the projected changes in population size and composition for transport needs are identified. A general theme throughout this report is that in many respects demographic change in the Waikato region is not that different from that in New Zealand as a whole, but there are sharp differences between the constituent TA areas. The report covers change in population size and structure, ethnic structure, the labour force, income, housing tenure and motor vehicle ownership, deprivation and projections of locally generated trips, the number of motor vehicles and travel to work flows. It is noted that a comprehensive assessment of transport need should embed demographic change into a integrated model of economic change in the region, combined with scenarios relating to external factors and policy changes.
|Date of creation:||12 Sep 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand, 3240|
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4040 (Administrator)
Fax: + 64 (0)7 838 4621
Web page: http://www.waikato.ac.nz/nidea/about-us/psc-history
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005.
"A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 451-477, 07.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004. "A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-134/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004. "A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages," Population Studies Centre Discussion Papers dp-47, University of Waikato, Population Studies Centre.
- Sarah Hillcoat-Nallétamby & A. Dharmalingam, 2004. "Solidarity across generations in New Zealand: factors influencing parental support for children within a three-generational context," Population Studies Centre Discussion Papers dp-46, University of Waikato, Population Studies Centre.
- Jacques Poot, 2005. "Measuring the Economic Impact of Immigration: A Scoping Paper," Population Studies Centre Discussion Papers dp-48, University of Waikato, Population Studies Centre. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)