Modelling the Yield Curve with Orthonormalised Laguerre Polynomials: A Consistent Cross-Sectional and Inter-Temporal Approach
This article proposes the orthonormalised Laguerre polynomial (OLP) model of the yield curve, a generic linear model that is both cross-sectionally consistent (that is, it reliably fits the yield curve at a given point in time), and inter-temporally consistent (that is, the cross-sectional parameters are shown to be consistent over time within the expectations hypothesis framework). The OLP model generalises the exponential-polynomial model for a single yield curve, as originally proposed by Nelson and Siegel (1987), and also allows for the simultaneous modelling of other same-currency yield curves that have instrument-specific differences (such as default risk), as in Houweling, Hoek and Kleibergen (2001). New Zealand data is used to illustrate the empirical application of the OLP model.
|Date of creation:||30 Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 64 (0)7 838 4758 (Administrator)
Fax: + 64 7 838 4331
Web page: http://cms.mngt.waikato.ac.nz/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Helwege & Christopher M. Turner, 1999. "The Slope of the Credit Yield Curve for Speculative-Grade Issuers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1869-1884, October.
- Bing-Huei Lin, 2002. "Fitting term structure of interest rates using B-splines: the case of Taiwanese Government bonds," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 57-75.
- Houweling, Patrick & Hoek, Jaap & Kleibergen, Frank, 2001.
"The joint estimation of term structures and credit spreads,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 297-323, July.
- Houweling, P. & Hoek, J. & Kleibergen, F.R., 1999. "The Joint Estimation of Term Structures and Credit Spreads," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9916-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Patrick Houweling & Jaap Hoek & Frank Kleibergen, 1999. "The Joint Estimation of Term Structures and Credit Spreads," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-027/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Seppälä, Juha & Viertiö, Petri, 1996. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates: Estimation and Interpretation," Research Discussion Papers 19/1996, Bank of Finland.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003.
"Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields,"
NBER Working Papers
10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2003. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Hördahl, Peter, 2000.
"Estimating the implied distribution of the future short term interest rate using the Longstaff-Schwartz model,"
Working Paper Series
0016, European Central Bank.
- Hördahl, Peter, 2000. "Estimating the Implied Distribution of the Future Short-Term Interest Rate Using the Longstaff-Schwartz Model," Working Paper Series 111, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Paul Soderlind & Lars E. O. Svensson, 1997.
"New Techniques to Extract Market Expectations from Financial Instruments,"
NBER Working Papers
5877, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Soderlind, Paul & Svensson, Lars, 1997. "New techniques to extract market expectations from financial instruments," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 383-429, October.
- Söderlind, Paul & Svensson, Lars E.O., 1996. "New Techniques to Extract Market expectations from Financial Instruments," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 142, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Söderlind, Paul & Svensson, Lars E O, 1997. "New Techniques to Extract Market Expectations from Financial Instruments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1556, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Söderlind, Paul & Svensson, Lars E.O., 1997. "New Techniques to Extract Market Expectations from Financial Instruments," Seminar Papers 621, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Soderlind, P & Svensson, L-E-O, 1996. "New Techniques to Extract Market Expectations from Financial Instruments," Papers 621, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Mansi, Sattar A & Phillips, Jeffrey H, 2001. "Modeling the Term Structure from the On-the-Run Treasury Yield Curve," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 24(4), pages 545-64, Winter.
- Schich, Sebastian T., 1997. "Estimating the German term structure," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 1997,04e, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Pham, Toan M., 1998. "Estimation of the term structure of interest rates: an international perspective," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 265-283, September.
- Jarrow, Robert A & Lando, David & Turnbull, Stuart M, 1997. "A Markov Model for the Term Structure of Credit Risk Spreads," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(2), pages 481-523.
- Ben Hunt, 1995. "Fitting Parsimonious Yield Curve Models to Australian Coupon Bond Data," Working Paper Series 51, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wai:econwp:03/02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Brian Silverstone)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.