A Structure for General and Specific Market Risk
The paper presents a consistent approach to the modeling of general and specific market risk as defined in regulatory documents. It compares the statistically based beta-factor model with a class of benckmark models that use a broadly based index as major building block for modeling. The investigation of log-return of stock prices that are expressed in units of the market index reveals that these are likely to be Student t distributed. A corresponding discrete time benchmark model is then used to calculate Value-at-Risk for equity portfolios.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2003|
|Publication status:||Published as: Platen, E. and Stahl, G., 2004, "A Structure for General and Specific Market Risk", Computational Statistics, 18(3), 355-373.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jun Pan & Darrell Duffie, 2001. "Analytical value-at-risk with jumps and credit risk," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 155-180.
- Praetz, Peter D, 1972. "The Distribution of Share Price Changes," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 49-55, January.
- Eckhard Platen, 2001. "Arbitrage in Continuous Complete Markets," Research Paper Series 72, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Madan, Dilip B & Seneta, Eugene, 1990. "The Variance Gamma (V.G.) Model for Share Market Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 511-524, October.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-887, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Eckhard Platen, 2003. "Diversified Portfolios in a Benchmark Framework," Research Paper Series 87, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.