A Fair Pricing Approach to Weather Derivatives
This paper proposes a consistent approach to the pricing of weather derivatives. Since weather derivatives are traded in an incomplete market setting, standard hedging based pricing methods cannot be applied. The growth optimal portfolio, which is interpreted as a world stock index, is used as a benchmark or numeraire such that all benchmarked derivative price processes are martingales. No measure transformation is needed for the proposed fair pricing. For weather derivative payoffs that are independent of the value of the growth optimal portfolio, it is shown that the classical actuarial pricing methodology is a particular case of the fair pricing concept. A discrete time model is constructed to approximate historical weather characteristics. The fair prices of some particular weather derivatives are derived using historical and Gaussian residuals. The question of weather risk as diversifiable risk is also discussed. Copyright Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. 2004
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.jafee.gr.jp/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/finance/journal/10690/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dirk Becherer, 2001. "The numeraire portfolio for unbounded semimartingales," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 327-341.
- Norbert Hofmann & Eckhard Platen & Martin Schweizer, 1992.
"Option Pricing Under Incompleteness and Stochastic Volatility,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 153-187.
- N. Hofmann & E. Platen & M. Schweizer, 1992. "Option Pricing under Incompleteness and Stochastic Volatility," Discussion Paper Serie B 209, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Bühlmann, Hans & Platen, Eckhard, 2003. "A Discrete Time Benchmark Approach for Insurance and Finance," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(02), pages 153-172, November.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"A Benchmark Framework for Risk Management,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Stochastic Processes And Applications To Mathematical Finance, chapter 15, pages 305-335
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Eckhard Platen, 2003. "Modeling the Volatility and Expected Value of a Diversified World Index," Research Paper Series 103, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eckhard Platen, 2003. "Pricing and Hedging for Incomplete Jump Diffusion Benchmark Models," Research Paper Series 110, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eckhard Platen, 2001. "Arbitrage in Continuous Complete Markets," Research Paper Series 72, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Hans Buhlmann & Eckhard Platen, 2002. "A Discrete Time Benchmark Approach for Finance and Insurance," Research Paper Series 74, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- David Heath & Eckhard Platen & Martin Schweizer, 2001. "A Comparison of Two Quadratic Approaches to Hedging in Incomplete Markets," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 385-413.
- I. Bajeux-Besnainou & R. Portait, 1997. "The numeraire portfolio: a new perspective on financial theory," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 291-309.
- Takeaki Kariya, 2003. "Weather Risk Swap Valuation," KIER Working Papers 568, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:11:y:2004:i:1:p:23-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.