An Intraday Empirical Analysis of Electricity Price Behaviour
This paper proposes an approach to the intraday analysis of the dynamics of electricity prices. The Growth Optimal Portfolio (GOP) is used as a reference unit in a continuous financial electricity price model. A diversified global portfolio in the form of a market capitalisation weighted index approximates the GOP. The GOP, measured in units of electricity, is normalised and then modeled as a time transformed square root process of dimension four. The dynamics of the resulting process is empirically verified. Intraday spot electricity prices from the US and Australian markets are used for this analysis. The empirical findings identify a simple but realistic model for examining the volatile behaviours of electricity prices. The proposed model reflects the historical price evolution reasonably well by using a only a few robust but readily observable parameters. The evolution of the tranformed times is modeled via a rapidly evolving market activity. A periodic, ergodic process with deterministic volatility is used to model market activity.
|Date of creation:||01 Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knittel, Christopher R. & Roberts, Michael R., 2005. "An empirical examination of restructured electricity prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 791-817, September.
- Hans Buhlmann & Eckhard Platen, 2002. "A Discrete Time Benchmark Approach for Finance and Insurance," Research Paper Series 74, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Wolfgang Breymann & Leah Kelly & Eckhard Platen, 2005.
"Intraday Empirical Analysis and Modeling of Diversified World Stock Indices,"
Asia-Pacific Financial Markets,
Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 12(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Wolfgang Breymann & Leah Kelly & Eckhard Platen, 2004. "Intraday Empirical Analysis and Modeling of Diversified World Stock Indices," Research Paper Series 125, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Long, John Jr., 1990. "The numeraire portfolio," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 29-69, July.
- I. Bajeux-Besnainou & R. Portait, 1997. "The numeraire portfolio: a new perspective on financial theory," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 291-309.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004.
"Diversified Portfolios with Jumps in a Benchmark Framework,"
Research Paper Series
129, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Eckhard Platen, 2004. "Diversified Portfolios with Jumps in a Benchmark Framework," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer;Japanese Association of Financial Economics and Engineering, vol. 11(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Eckhard Platen, 2001. "Arbitrage in Continuous Complete Markets," Research Paper Series 72, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Bühlmann, Hans & Platen, Eckhard, 2003. "A Discrete Time Benchmark Approach for Insurance and Finance," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(02), pages 153-172, November.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.