Two Stochastic Volatility Processes - American Option Pricing
In this paper we consider the pricing of an American call option whose underlying asset dynamics evolve under the influence of two independent stochastic volatility processes of the Heston (1993) type. We derive the associated partial differential equation (PDE) of the option price using hedging arguments and Ito's lemma. An integral expression for the general solution of the PDE is presented by using Duhamel's principle and this is expressed in terms of the joint transition density function for the driving stochastic processes. We solve the Kolmogorov PDE for the joint transition density function by first transforming it to a corresponding system of characteristic PDEs using a combination of Fourier and Laplace transforms. The characteristic PDE system is solved by using the method of characteristics. With the full price representation in place, numerical results are presented by first approximating the early exercise surface with a bivariate log linear function. We perform numerical comparisons with results generated by the method of lines algorithm and note that our approach is very competitive in terms of accuracy.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome & Ghysels, Eric & Torres, Olivier, 2000.
"American options with stochastic dividends and volatility: A nonparametric investigation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 53-92.
- Mark Broadie & Jérôme B. Detemple & Eric Ghysels & Olivier Torrès, 1996. "American Options with Stochastic Dividends and Volatility: A Nonparametric Investigation," CIRANO Working Papers 96s-26, CIRANO.
- Shephard, N.G., 1991. "From Characteristic Function to Distribution Function: A Simple Framework for the Theory," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 519-529, December.
- Carl Chiarella & Boda Kang & Gunter H. Meyer & Andrew Ziogas, 2009.
"The Evaluation Of American Option Prices Under Stochastic Volatility And Jump-Diffusion Dynamics Using The Method Of Lines,"
International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(03), pages 393-425.
- Carl Chiarella & Boda Kang & Gunter H. Meyer & Andrew Ziogas, 2008. "The Evaluation of American Option Prices Under Stochastic Volatility and Jump-Diffusion Dynamics Using the Method of Lines," Research Paper Series 219, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Carl Chiarella & Boda Kang & Gunter H. Meyer, 2014. "Introduction," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: The Numerical Solution of the American Option Pricing Problem Finite Difference and Transform Approaches, chapter 1, pages 1-2 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Eckhard Platen & Renata Rendek, 2007. "Empirical Evidence on Student-t Log-Returns of Diversified World Stock Indices," Research Paper Series 194, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Elias Tzavalis & Shijun Wang, 2003. "Pricing American Options under Stochastic Volatility: A New Method Using Chebyshev Polynomials to Approximate the Early Exercise Boundary," Working Papers 488, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Andrew Ziogas & Carl Chiarella, 2005. "Pricing American Options under Stochastic Volatility," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 77, Society for Computational Economics.
- JosE Da Fonseca & Martino Grasselli & Claudio Tebaldi, 2008. "A multifactor volatility Heston model," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 591-604.
- Chiarella, Carl & El-Hassan, Nadima & Kucera, Adam, 1999. "Evaluation of American option prices in a path integral framework using Fourier-Hermite series expansions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 1387-1424, September.
- Gerald Cheang & Carl Chiarella & Andrew Ziogas, 2009. "An Analysis of American Options under Heston Stochastic Volatility and Jump-Diffusion Dynamics," Research Paper Series 256, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Scott, Louis O., 1987. "Option Pricing when the Variance Changes Randomly: Theory, Estimation, and an Application," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(04), pages 419-438, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:292. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.