Affine Term Structure Constraints on Euribor data
This article discusses some modifications to non arbitrage models described by an Ornstein- Uhlenbeck latent process and an affine dynamic system. The empirical analysis refers to Euribor rates, due to the leading role they have in financial markets, but also to help the replicability of the results due to their accessibility and gratuitous nature. The benchmark model belongs to the class of Affine Term Structure Models (ATSM), whom owe their popularity to the success of Duffie and Kan (1996). Nodes have been calculated recursively through the use of the Kalman filter, and hence have the corresponding bayesian interpretation. The proposals differ from traditional models on some constraints posed on certain model specifications that allow to identify different aspects of the term structure. Through a clear identification of the type of contribution that each factor can undertake, it is possible to define probabilistic structures with minimal residuals purified from the dominant systematic residues visible in classic model residuals. Term Structure properties seem to be be identified with greater precision, which in the authors opinion justifies the relaxation of the hypothesis due to the additional constraints. The empirical analysis tries to convey such findings, and reminds of possible evolving paths of this line of work, such as a different specification of the transition process or the relaxation of linear and gaussian nature.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza S.Francesco,7 - 53100 Siena|
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. A. Lutz, 1940. "The Structure of Interest Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 36-63.
- J. M. Culbertson, 1957. "The Term Structure of Interest Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 485-517.
- Babbs, Simon H. & Nowman, K. Ben, 1999. "Kalman Filtering of Generalized Vasicek Term Structure Models," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 115-130, March.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Kenneth J. Arrow & Anthony C. Fisher, 1974. "Environmental Preservation, Uncertainty, and Irreversibility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 88(2), pages 312-319.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 363-384, March.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2000.
"Specification Analysis of Affine Term Structure Models,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 1943-1978, October.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1997. "Specification Analysis of Affine Term Structure Models," NBER Working Papers 6128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1998. "Specification Analysis of Affine Term Structure Models," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-083, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-887, September.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003.
"A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001. "A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables," NBER Working Papers 8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- LeRoy,Stephen F. & Werner,Jan, 2014.
"Principles of Financial Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9781107024120, February.
- LeRoy,Stephen F. & Werner,Jan, 2001. "Principles of Financial Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586054.
- LeRoy,Stephen F. & Werner,Jan, 2014. "Principles of Financial Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107673021, February.
- Bolder, David & Streliski, David, 1999. "Yield Curve Modelling at the Bank of Canada," Technical Reports 84, Bank of Canada. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:613. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.