Demand-Enhancing Investment in Mixed Duopoly
This paper examines demand-enhancing investment and pricing in mixed duopoly. We analyze a model with differentiated products and reduced-form demand, making no assumptions on the relative efficiency of the public firm. First, we derive sufficient conditions for public investment to crowd out private investment. Second, we characterize the conditions under which individual investments (prices, respectively) in the mixed duopoly are higher (lower) than in the standard duopoly. Third, we show that with linear demand the public firm effectively disciplines the private firm, inducing an improvement in its price-quality ratio relative to the standard duopoly.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41 71 224 23 25
Fax: +41 71 224 31 35
Web page: http://www.seps.unisg.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- CREMER,Â Helmuth & MARCHAND,Â Maurice & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, .
"Mixed oligopoly with differentiated products,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
930, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Stefan Buehler & Dennis Gärtner & Daniel Halbheer, 2006.
"Deregulating Network Industries: Dealing with Price-quality Tradeoffs,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 99-115, 07.
- Stefan Buehler & Dennis Gaertner & Daniel Halbheer, 2004. "Deregulating Network Industries: Dealing with Price-Quality Tradeoffs," SOI - Working Papers 0402, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich, revised Oct 2005.
- de Palma, André & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1995.
"Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Simon P. & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1997. "Privatization and efficiency in a differentiated industry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1635-1654, December.
- ANDERSON, Simon & deÂ PALMA, AndrÃ© & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 1996. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," CORE Discussion Papers 1996045, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, S.P. & de Palma, A. & Thisse, J.F., 1995. "Privatization and Efficiency in a Differentiated Industry," Papers 9505, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Matsumura, Toshihiro, 1998. "Partial privatization in mixed duopoly," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 473-483, December.
- Poyago-Theotoky, Joanna, 1998. "R&D Competition in a Mixed Duopoly under Uncertainty and Easy Imitation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 415-428, September.
- Delbono, Flavio & Denicolo, Vincenzo, 1993.
"Regulating innovative activity : The role of a public firm,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 35-48, March.
- Flavio Delbono & Vincenzo Denicolo, 1991. "Regulating Innovative Activity: the Role of a Public Firm," Working Papers 117, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-11, April.
- Ishibashi, Ikuo & Matsumura, Toshihiro, 2006. "R&D competition between public and private sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1347-1366, August.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2004. "Endogenous Cost Differentials between Public and Private Enterprises: A Mixed Duopoly Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(284), pages 671-688, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usg:dp2010:2010-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Flockerzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.