At whose service? Subsidizing services and the skill premium
In this paper we investigate the effects of subsidizing low-skilled, labour-intensive services hired by high-skilled individuals in the presence of labour income taxation. Whether such a subsidy can be Pareto-improving depends crucially on the degree of substitutability of both types of labour in the non-service sector. In case of some substitutability, a service subsidy can benefit all and decrease inequality, but in case of complementarity, low-skilled individuals benefit and high-skilled individuals are worse off.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 80125, NL-3508 TC Utrecht|
Phone: +31 30 253 9800
Fax: +31 30 253 7373
Web page: http://www.uu.nl/EN/faculties/leg/organisation/schools/schoolofeconomicsuse/Pages/default.aspx
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu, 2002.
"Cross-Country Inequality Trends,"
LIS Working papers
296, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Lindbeck, Assar, 1982. "Tax Effects versus Budget Effects on Labor Supply," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(4), pages 473-489, October.
- Lundholm, M. & Ohlsson, H., 1995.
"Wages for Women and Publicly Financed Day Care,"
1995-23, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Theodore C. Bergstrom & Sören Blomquist, "undated".
"The Political Economy of Subsidized Day Care,"
ELSE working papers
015, ESRC Centre on Economics Learning and Social Evolution.
- Blomquist, Sören & Christiansen, Vidar, 2007.
"Public Provision of Private Goods and Nondistortionary Marginal Tax Rates,"
Working Paper Series
2007:7, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Sören Blomquist & Vidar Christiansen & Luca Micheletto, 2010. "Public Provision of Private Goods and Nondistortionary Marginal Tax Rates," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 1-27, May.
- Sören Blomquist & Vidar Christiansen & Luca Micheletto, 2008. "Public Provision of Private Goods and Nondistortionary Marginal Tax Rates," CESifo Working Paper Series 2303, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kleven, Henrik Jacobsen, 2004. "Optimum taxation and the allocation of time," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 545-557, March.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1990. "Tax Distortions and Household Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(1), pages 78-90, January.
- Sherwin Rosen, 1995.
"Public Employment, Taxes and the Welfare State in Sweden,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
106, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Sherwin Rosen, 1997. "Public Employment, Taxes, and the Welfare State in Sweden," NBER Chapters, in: The Welfare State in Transition: Reforming the Swedish Model, pages 79-108 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sherwin Rosen, 1995. "Public Employment, Taxes and the Welfare State in Sweden," NBER Working Papers 5003, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomquist, Sören, 2009.
"Public Provision of Private Goods and Nondistortionary Marginal Tax Rates: Some Further Results,"
Working Paper Series
2009:13, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Vidar Christiansen and Luca Micheletto, Sören Blomquist,, 2009. "Public Provision of Private Goods and Nondistortionary Marginal Tax Rates: Some Further Results," Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies 2009:7, Uppsala University, Department of Economics, revised 09 Oct 2009.
- Henrik Jacobsen Kleven & Wolfram F. Richter & Peter Birch Sørensen, "undated".
"Optimal Taxation with Household Production,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
99-12, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Ted Bergstrom & Soren Blomquist, 1994.
"Political Economy of Subsidized Day Care,"
- Bergstrom, T. & Blomquist, S., 1993. "The Political Economy of Subsidized Day Care," Papers 93-30, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Ted Bergstrom & Soren Blomquist, 1994. "The Political Economy of Publicly Supplied Day Care," Papers _034, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Kevin J. Mumford, 2008. "The Efficiency Cost of Child Tax Benefits," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1220, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:use:tkiwps:0930. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Muilwijk)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.