Monetary unions and the transaction cost savings of a single currency
This paper studies the transaction cost savings of moving from a multi-currency exchange system to a single currency one. The analysis concentrates exclusively on the transaction and precautionary demand for money and abstracts from any other motives to hold currency. A continuous-time, stochastic Baumol- like model similar to that in Frenkel and Jovanovic (1980) is generalized to include several currencies and calibrated to fit European data. The analysis implies an upper bound for the savings associated with reductions of transaction costs derived from the European Monetary Union of approximately 0.6\% of the Community GDP. Additionally, the magnitudes of the brokerage fee and the volatility of transactions, whose estimation has traditionally been difficult to address empirically, are approximated for Europe.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guidotti, Pablo E, 1993. "Currency Substitution and Financial Innovation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 109-24, February.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr., 1994. "On the welfare cost of inflation," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 94-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Barro, Robert J & Santomero, Anthony J, 1972. "Household Money Holdings and The Demand Deposit Rate," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 397-413, May.
- Chang, Fwu-Ranq, 1999. "Homogeneity and the Transactions Demand for Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(4), pages 720-30, November.
- Lieberman, Charles, 1977. "The Transactions Demand for Money and Technological Change," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(3), pages 307-17, August.
- Baumol, William J & Tobin, James, 1989. "The Optimal Cash Balance Proposition: Maurice Allais' Priority," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 27(3), pages 1160-62, September.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Boyan Jovanovic, 1978.
"On Transactions and Precautionary Demand For Money,"
NBER Working Papers
0288, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1980. "On Transactions and Precautionary Demand for Money," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(1), pages 25-43, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:291. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.