An Empirical Assessment of the Impact of Intra-Industry Trade on Employment: Australia 1989/90-2000/01
This paper investigates dynamic aspects of labour market adjustment in Australia during 1989/90 and 2000/01 due to extensive trade reforms and associated developments in intra-industry trade. In view of the foregoing, it was hypothesised that trade reforms have had a positive impact on employment to the extent that trade flows are intra-industry. We do find that declining protection over this period is associated with increased employment to the extent that trade flows are intra-industry.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia|
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brulhart, Marius, 2000. "Dynamics of Intraindustry Trade and Labor-Market Adjustment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 420-35, August.
- Gaston, Noel, 1998. "The Impact of International Trade and Protection on Australian Manufacturing Employment," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(2), pages 119-36, June.
- Marius Brülhart, 1994. "Marginal intra-industry trade: Measurement and relevance for the pattern of industrial adjustment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 130(3), pages 600-613, September.
- Ravindra Ratnayake & Sisira Kumara Jayasuriya, 1990.
"Intra Industry Trade & Protection: Which way does the Causation go?,"
1990.04, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Ravindra Ratnayake & Sisira Kumara Jayasuriya, 1990. "Intra Industry Trade & Protection: Which way does the Causation go?," Working Papers 1990.04 EDIRC Provider-In, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Renuka Mahadevan, 2002. "Trade liberalization and productivity growth in Australian manufacturing industries," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 30(2), pages 170-185, June.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C. & Wright, Peter, 1999. "An empirical assessment of the impact of trade on employment in the United Kingdom," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 485-500, September.
- Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu & Neri, Frank, 2004. "Trade Reforms and Changes in Australian Manufactured Exports," Economics Working Papers wp04-09, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Jayant Menon & Peter Dixon, 1996. "How important is intra-industry trade in trade growth?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 161-175, April.
- Ratnayake, Ravindra & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 1991. "Intra-industry trade and protection : Which way does the causation go?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 71-76, May.
- Jayant Menon, 1994. "Trade Liberalization and Intra-Industry Specialization: The Australian Experience," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-107, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp04-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.