Trade Reforms and Changes in Australian Manufactured Exports
This paper briefly describes the major reforms to Australian trade policy over the last 30 years and then explores whether these reforms have increased manufactured exports across 141 manufacturing branches over the period 1989/90 to 2000/01. We find that the declining level of protection over this period is associated with increased exports.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia|
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L Alan Winters, 2004. "Trade Liberalisation and Economic Performance: An Overview," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages 4-21, 02.
- Edward Oczkowski & Kishor Sharma, 2001. "Imperfect Competition, Returns To Scale and Productivity Growth In Australian Manufacturing: A Smooth Transition Approach To Trade Liberalisation," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 99-113, June.
- A. H. Harris & G. A. Wood & T. Armstrong, 1993. "The Role of Government Assistance in Structural Change in Manufacturing: Australian Evidence," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 26(3), pages 45-55.
- Marius Brülhart, 1994. "Marginal intra-industry trade: Measurement and relevance for the pattern of industrial adjustment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 130(3), pages 600-613, September.
- Harry Bloch & James McDonald, 2001.
"Import Competition and Labor Productivity,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 301-319, September.
- Harry Bloch & James Ted McDonald, 2000. "Import Competition and Labour Productivity," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2000n09, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Renuka Mahadevan, 2002. "Trade liberalization and productivity growth in Australian manufacturing industries," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 30(2), pages 170-185, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp04-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.