US manufacturing and vertical/horizontal intra-industry trade: examining the smooth adjustment hypothesis
Using data that represent the six-digit North American Industrial Classification System-classified industries that comprise the US manufacturing sector and that span the years 1989â€“2005, we test the validity of the smooth adjustment hypothesis (SAH). To our knowledge, this is the first examination of the SAH for the USA. The results of our empirical analysis are consistent with the confirmation of the SAH. Further, using measures of vertical marginal intra-industry trade and of horizontal marginal intra-industry trade, we find that the latter has a stronger effect on employment of production workers than does the former. The findings suggest that for total industry-level employment and for industry-level production worker employment, intra-industry trade expansion inherently involves lower adjustment costs as compared to inter-industry trade expansion.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==310|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joanne Kathryn Lindley & Marius Brullhart & Rob Elliott, 2005.
"Intra-industry trade and labour market adjustment: A reassessment using data on individual workers,"
2005005, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics, revised May 2005.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J. R. Elliott & Joanne Lindley, 2006. "Intra-Industry Trade and Labour-Market Adjustment: A Reassessment Using Data on Individual Workers," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 521-545, October.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J.R. Elliott, 1998.
"Adjustment to the European single market: inferences from intra-industry trade patterns,"
Journal of Economic Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 225-247, September.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J. R. Elliott,, . "Adjustment to the European Single Market: Inferences from Intra-Industry Trade Patterns," Discussion Papers 96/15, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Clive Hamilton & Paul Kniest, 1991. "Trade liberalisation, structural adjustment and intra-industry trade: A note," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(2), pages 356-367, June.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C. & Wright, Peter, 1999. "An empirical assessment of the impact of trade on employment in the United Kingdom," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 485-500, September.
- Robert J. R. Elliott & Joanne K. Lindley, 2006. "Trade, Skills and Adjustment Costs: A Study of Intra-Sectoral Labor Mobility," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 20-41, 02.
- Horácio Faustino & Nuno Leitão, 2009. "Intra-industry trade and labor costs: The smooth adjustment hypothesis," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/17, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Lovely, Mary E & Nelson, Douglas R, 2000. "Marginal Intraindustry Trade and Labor Adjustment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 436-47, August.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert Elliott, 2002. "Labour-market effects of intra-industry trade: Evidence for the United Kingdom," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 207-228, June.
- Marius Brulhart & Michael Thorpe, 2000. "Intra-industry trade and adjustment in Malaysia: puzzling evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(11), pages 729-733.
- Chonira Aturupane & Simeon Djankov & Bernard Hoekman, 1999. "Horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade between Eastern Europe and the European union," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 62-81, March.
- Manuel Cabral & Joana Silva, 2006. "Intra-Industry Trade Expansion and Employment Reallocation between Sectors and Occupations," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 496-520, October.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner & Robert Elliott, 1994. "Adjustment and the measurement of marginal intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(2), pages 418-427, June.
- Marius Brülhart, 1994. "Marginal intra-industry trade: Measurement and relevance for the pattern of industrial adjustment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 600-613, September.
- Brulhart, Marius, 2000. "Dynamics of Intraindustry Trade and Labor-Market Adjustment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 420-35, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijecbr:v:4:y:2012:i:1/2:p:1-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.