Trucefully Yours: Hatred and the Prospects of Genuine and Stable Peace
This paper highlights the role of hatred and its evolution in determining the course of conflicts between nations following their signing of an agreement for truce. It analytically demonstrates that weak inertia, diminishing memory of hatred and a low propensity to reciprocate aversion are essential for reaching a genuine and stable peace. These propositions are employed to assess the prospects of genuine and stable peace between Israel and Palestine. It is argued that due to inertia, strong memory of collective hatred and high propensity to reciprocate collective aversion, the inherent course of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict does not lead to a genuine and stable peace.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia|
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David H. Bearce & Eric O'N. Fisher, 2002.
"Economic Geography, Trade, and War,"
Journal of Conflict Resolution,
Peace Science Society (International), vol. 46(3), pages 365-393, June.
- David Bearce and Eric Fisher, 2001. "Economic Geography, Trade, and War," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 40, Society for Computational Economics.
- David H. Bearce & Eric O'N. Fisher, 2001. "Economic Geography, Trade, and War," Working Papers 01-06, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Gregory D. Hess & Athanasios Orphanides, 2001.
"War and Democracy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(4), pages 776-810, August.
- Garfinkel, Michelle R, 1994.
"Domestic Politics and International Conflict,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1294-1309, December.
- Hess, Gregory D & Orphanides, Athanasios, 1995. "War Politics: An Economic, Rational-Voter Framework," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 828-46, September.
- S. Brock Blomberg & Gregory D. Hess, 2002. "The Temporal Links between Conflict and Economic Activity," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 46(1), pages 74-90, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp04-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.