Trade Reforms and the Survival of the Passenger Motor Vehicle Industry in Australia
The Passenger Motor Vehicle (PMV) industry in Australia experienced extensive trade reforms in the late 1980s which were expected to promote a competitive PMV industry. This paper tests the hypotheses that decreasing protection have had a significant effect on production, imports, exports, labour productivity and organizational innovations (A1); and this effect is particularly evident since 1988 (A2). We have used cointegration analysis to test the hypothesis (A1) and the Chow test for (A2). Our study confirms our two hypotheses.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia|
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthew P Fleischmann & David Prentice, 2000.
"Strategy, Scale or Policy? Exit in the Australian Car Industry,"
2000.14, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Fleischmann, Matthew P & Prentice, David, 2001. "Strategy, Scale or Policy? Exit in the Australian Car Industry," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(239), pages 351-60, December.
- Matthew P Fleischmann & David Prentice, 2000. "Strategy, Scale or Policy? Exit in the Australian Car Industry," Working Papers 2000.14, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Sanidas, E., 2001. "The Successful Imitation of the Japanese Lean Production System by American Firms: Impact on American Economic Growth," Economics Working Papers wp01-02, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1985. "Automobile prices and protection: The U.S.-Japan trade restraint," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-68.
- Ross Garnaut, 1997. "Australian Cars in a Global Economy," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 30(4), pages 359-373.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uow:depec1:wp03-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.