Research, higher education and innovation: redesigning multi-level governance within Europe in a period of crisis
In this paper we present a vision for the course Europe should take in its research and higher education policies in order to fully live up to the expectations of its citizens to provide a safe, comfortable, affluent and sustainable environment in this period of considerable financial restraint on the part of EU governments. In particular we focus on the division of labour between the EU, Member States and regions. We first provide a brief historical overview of the origins of research policy in Europe. Second, we give our vision for investments in research and higher education for economic growth and hence also for solving many of the "big challenges" Europe is being confronted with already today but increasingly so in the coming years. Third, we fit out our vision onto the history to derive a perspective on how our vision could be transferred in budgetary and regulatory terms according to an optimum interplay between the EU, member states and regions.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans-Friedrich Eckey & Christian Dreger & Matthias Türck, 2006.
"European Regional Convergence in a Human Capital Augmented Solow Model,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
631, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Eckey, Hans-Friedrich & Dreger, Christian & Türck, Matthias, 2006. "European regional convergence in a human capital augmented Solow model," Volkswirtschaftliche Diskussionsbeiträge 88, Faculty of Economics and Management, University of Kassel.
- Bruno van Pottelsberghe, . "Lost property: The European patent system and why it doesn't work," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 312, APRIL.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-1171, September.
- Munawar Iqbal & David T. Llewellyn, 2002. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Islamic Banking and Finance, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2011056. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.