Changing Character of Foreign Direct Investment from Developing Countries: Case Studies from Asia
FDI flows originating in developing countries have evolved in terms of increasing magnitudes as well as in terms of their motivations. In the initial round, developing country FDI were essentially horizontal in nature, generally destined to other developing countries seeking markets. Using case studies of FDI from selected Asian developing countries, the paper shows that since the mid-1980s, developing country enterprises have increasingly used FDI as a strategic tool for promoting their competitiveness abroad. This transformation has ensued from recent global trends of emergence of regional trading blocs, rising protectionism in the industrialised countries, and rising wages and currency appreciations in certain developing countries.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D.N. Saxena, 1989. "Foreign Direct Investment," Foreign Trade Review, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, vol. 24(1), pages 76-97, April.
- Nagesh Kumar, 1994. "Determinants of Export Orientation of Foreign Production by U.S. Multinationals: An Inter-Country Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 25(1), pages 141-156, March.
- Kumar, Nagesh, 1995. "Industrialization, Liberalization and Two Way Flows of Foreign Direct Investment: The Case of India," UNU-INTECH Discussion Paper Series 03, United Nations University - INTECH.
- Yoong-Deok Jeon, 1992. "The determinants of Korean foreign direct investment in manufacturing industries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 128(3), pages 527-542, September.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1984. "Exports of technology by newly-industrializing countries: An overview," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(5-6), pages 471-480.
- Louis T. Wells, 1983. "Third World Multinationals: The Rise of Foreign Investments from Developing Countries," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026273169x.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unuint:199516. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.