Green Tax Reform and the Laffer curve in labour market models: A brief note
This paper shows that the dividing lines between the three possible outcome of a revenue-neutral ecological tax reform – double dividend, employment failure, environmental failure – can be ordered in terms of the slope of the wage curve and the slope of the Laffer curve in an efficiency wage model. A comparison of the efficiency wage model with bargaining models shows that the relation between the three outcomes and the slope of the Laffer curve is not the same but rather the opposite in the two models.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scholz, Christian M, 1998. " "Involuntary Unemployment and Environmental Policy: The Double Dividend Hypothesis": A Comment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(3), pages 663-64, September.
- Bayindir-Upmann, Thorsten & Raith, Matthias G., 2003. "Should high-tax countries pursue revenue-neutral ecological tax reforms?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 41-60, February.
- Schneider, Kerstin, 1997. " Involuntary Unemployment and Environmental Policy: The Double Dividend Hypothesis," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 45-49, March.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 1999. "Alleviating unemployment:: The case for green tax reforms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(9), pages 1723-1746, October.
- Christopher Pissarides, 1997.
"The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages : the role of unemployment benefits and tax structure,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2332, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pissarides, Christopher A., 1998. "The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages; The role of unemployment benefits and tax structure," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-183, January.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1997. "The Impact of Employment Tax Cuts on Unemployment and Wages: The Role of Unemployment Benefits and Tax Structure," CEP Discussion Papers dp0361, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Environmental taxation and employment," Other publications TiSEM db57f00b-741a-483d-a01b-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamer:2003013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.