Cyclical patterns of employment, utilization and profitability
The interaction between income distribution, accumulation, employment and the utilization of capital is central to macroeconomic models in the `heterodox' tradition. This paper examines the stylized pattern of these variables using US data for the period after 1948. We look at the trends and cycles in individual time series and examine the bivariate cycical patterns among the variables. JEL Categories: E12, E32, O41
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Thompson Hall, Amherst, MA 01003|
Web page: http://www.umass.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Skott,Peter, 2008.
"Conflict and Effective Demand in Economic Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521066310, November.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1989. "Assessing the Federal Reserve's Measures of Capacity and Utilization," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 181-242.
- Peter Skott & Ben Zipperer, 2012.
"An empirical evaluation of three post-Keynesian models,"
European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention,
Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 277-307.
- Peter Skott, Ben Zipperer, 2010. "An empirical evaluation of three post Keynesian models," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2010-08, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Nelson H. Barbosa-Filho & Lance Taylor, 2006. "Distributive And Demand Cycles In The Us Economy-A Structuralist Goodwin Model," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 389-411, 07.
- John Schmitt & Dean Baker, 2006. "Missing Inaction: Evidence of Undercounting of Non-Workers in the Current Population Survey," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2006-03, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Mohun, Simon & Veneziani, Roberto, 2006. "Goodwin cycles and the U.S. economy, 1948-2004," MPRA Paper 30444, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carol Corrado & Joe Mattey, 1997. "Capacity Utilization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 151-167, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ums:papers:2010-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raphael Gouvea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.