Cyclical patterns of employment, utilization, and profitability
The interaction between income distribution, accumulation, employment, and the utilization of capital is central to macroeconomic models in the "heterodox" tradition. This article examines the stylized pattern of these variables using U.S. data for the period after 1948. We look at the trends and cycles in individual time series and examine the bivariate cyclical patterns among the variables.
Volume (Year): 34 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=109348|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Skott, Ben Zipperer, 2010.
"An empirical evaluation of three post Keynesian models,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2010-08, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Peter Skott & Ben Zipperer, 2012. "An empirical evaluation of three post-Keynesian models," European Journal of Economics and Economic Policies: Intervention, Edward Elgar Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 277-307.
- Mohun, Simon & Veneziani, Roberto, 2006. "Goodwin cycles and the U.S. economy, 1948-2004," MPRA Paper 30444, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Skott,Peter, 2008.
"Conflict and Effective Demand in Economic Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521066310, November.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1989. "Assessing the Federal Reserve's Measures of Capacity and Utilization," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 181-242.
- Nelson H. Barbosa-Filho & Lance Taylor, 2006. "Distributive And Demand Cycles In The Us Economy-A Structuralist Goodwin Model," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 389-411, 07.
- John Schmitt & Dean Baker, 2006. "Missing Inaction: Evidence of Undercounting of Non-Workers in the Current Population Survey," CEPR Reports and Issue Briefs 2006-03, Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR).
- Carol Corrado & Joe Mattey, 1997. "Capacity Utilization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 151-167, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:postke:v:34:y:2011:i:1:p:25-58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.