Why Are Firms Sometimes Unwilling to Reduce Costs?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- X. Wang & Jingang Zhao, 2010. "Why are firms sometimes unwilling to reduce costs?," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 101(2), pages 103-124, October.
References listed on IDEAS
- Donald Smythe & Jingang Zhao, 2006. "The Complete Welfare Effects of Cost Reductions in a Cournot Oligopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 87(2), pages 181-193, March.
- Kao, Tina & Menezes, Flavio, 2009.
"Endogenous mergers under multi-market competition,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(12), pages 817-829, December.
- Tina Kao & Flavio Menezes, 2008. "Endogenous Mergers under Multi-Market Competition," Discussion Papers Series 355, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Tina Kao & Flavio Menezes, 2009. "Endogenous Mergers Under Multi-Market Competition," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2009-507, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- William Novshek, 1985. "On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 85-98.
- Justin P. Johnson & David P. Myatt, 2003.
"Multiproduct Quality Competition: Fighting Brands and Product Line Pruning,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 748-774, June.
- David P. Myatt & Justin P. Johnson, 2002. "Multiproduct Quality Competition: Fighting Brands and Product Line Pruning," Economics Series Working Papers 105, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Luis M. B. Cabral, 2001.
"Multiproduct Oligopoly and Bertrand Supertraps,"
01-04, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Cabral, L.M.B., 2001. "Multiproduct Oligopoly and Bertrand Supertraps," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 01-04, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Fevrier, Philippe & Linnemer, Laurent, 2004.
"Idiosyncratic shocks in an asymmetric Cournot oligopoly,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 835-848, June.
- Laurent Linnemer & Philippe Février, 2004. "Idiosyncratic shocks in an asymmetric Cournot oligopoly," Post-Print hal-01634436, HAL.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 1996. "Stability of a Cournot-Nash equilibrium: The multiproduct case," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 441-462.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou, 1995. "Product Differentiation and Oligopoly in International Markets: The Case of the U.S. Automobile Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 891-951, July.
- Volker Grossmann, 2003. "Firm Size and Diversification: Asymmetric Multiproduct Firms under Cournot Competition," CESifo Working Paper Series 1047, CESifo Group Munich.
- Luís M. B. Cabral & Miguel Villas-Boas, 2005. "Bertrand Supertraps," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(4), pages 599-613, April.
- Shapiro, Carl, 1989. "Theories of oligopoly behavior," Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 329-414 Elsevier.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Hennessy, David A., 2006. "A note on cost arrangement and market performance in a multi-product Cournot oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 583-591, May.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-122, February.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Multiproduct Firms, Product Differentiation, and Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Pham Do, K.H. & Folmer, H., 2003. "International Fisheries Agreements : The Feasibility and Impacts of Partial Cooperation," Discussion Paper 2003-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Lapan, Harvey E. & Hennessy, David A., 2006. "Note on Cost Arrangement and Market Performance in a Multi-Product Cournot Oligopoly, A," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12720, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Harrington, Joseph E, Jr, 1987. "Collusion in Multiproduct Oligopoly Games under a Finite Horizon," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Vives, Xavier, 2005. "Games with strategic complementarities: New applications to industrial organization," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 625-637, September.
- Wang, X. Henry & Zhao, Jingang, 2007. "Welfare reductions from small cost reductions in differentiated oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 173-185, February.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Duarte Brito & Markos Tselekounis, 2017. "On the Impact of Input Prices on an Entrant’s Profit Under Multi-Product Competition," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 50(1), pages 105-125, February.
- Aymeric Lardon, 2017. "On the Coalitional Stability of Monopoly Power in Differentiated Bertrand and Cournot Oligopolies," GREDEG Working Papers 2017-10, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Friedel Bolle, 2011.
"Over- and under-investment according to different benchmarks,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 104(3), pages 219-238, November.
- Bolle, Friedel, 2008. "Over- and under-investment according to different benchmarks," Discussion Papers 265, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsEffect of cost reduction; multiproduct oligopoly; price competition; quantity competition;
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure, Pricing, and Design - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-05-12 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2007-05-12 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-MIC-2007-05-12 (Microeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umc:wpaper:0703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerie Kulp). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/edumous.html .