Race, Bureaucratic Discretion, and the Implementation of Welfare Reform
This paper explores the impact of the race of individual clients and of the local racial context on the implementation of sanctions for recipients of Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) in a Midwestern state. We find that although nonwhites are sanctioned at lower rates than whites overall, nonwhites are sanctioned more compared to whites in each local area. This paradox occurs because nonwhites tend to live in areas with lower sanction rates. Consistent with the literature on race and policy, we find that sanction rates increase as the nonwhite population increases until a threshold is reached where nonwhites gain political power.
|Date of creation:||17 Jul 2003|
|Publication status:||Published in American Journal of Political Science, (vol. 48, no. 2, April 2004) pp. 314-327|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 118 Professional Building, Columbia, MO 65211|
Phone: (573) 882-0063
Fax: (573) 882-2697
Web page: http://economics.missouri.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:87:y:1993:i:02:p:334-347_09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter R. Mueser & Kenneth Troske & William J. Carrington, 2002.
"The Impact of Welfare Reform on Leaver Characteristics, Employment and Recidivism,"
0205, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 26 Aug 2002.
- Carrington, William J. & Mueser, Peter R. & Troske, Kenneth, 2002. "The Impact of Welfare Reform on Leaver Characteristics, Employment and Recidivism," IZA Discussion Papers 561, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Orr, Larry L, 1976. "Income Transfers as a Public Good: An Application to AFDC," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 359-371, June.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:89:y:1995:i:01:p:23-33_09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lieberman, Robert C. & Lapinski, John S., 2001. "American Federalism, Race and the Administration of Welfare," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(02), pages 303-329, April.
- repec:cup:apsrev:v:80:y:1986:i:04:p:1249-1270_18 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umc:wpaper:0307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerie Kulp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.