Credit Rating Announcements, Trading Activity and Yield Spreads: The Spanish Evidence
We test whether or not different rating announcements contain pricing-relevant information and modify trading activity patterns in the Spanish commercial paper and corporate bond markets. We observe a statistically significant widening of yield spreads in both segments of the corporate debt market after reviews of downgrades and negative outlook reports. In addition, we find that certain rating announcements encourage trading activity even when the information is not pricing-relevant. The release of information arouses investor interest for the involved securities. Thus, trading frequency increases, although larger-sized transactions, which should denote possible portfolio rebalancing, are not observed. In the commercial paper note market, we also find that that trading volumes fade away after reviews for downgrade. Investors seem to prefer reducing the trading of these short-term securities to liquidating their positions.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doron Kliger & Oded Sarig, 2000.
"The Information Value of Bond Ratings,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2879-2902, December.
- Doron Kliger & Oded Sarig, . "The Information Value of Bond Ratings," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 13-97, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- Pilar Abad & Antonio Diaz & M. Dolores Robles-Fernandez, 2011. "Determinants of trading activity after rating actions in the Corporate Debt Market," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 2011-37, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Norden, Lars & Weber, Martin, 2004.
"Informational efficiency of credit default swap and stock markets: The impact of credit rating announcements,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2813-2843, November.
- Norden, Lars & Weber, Martin, 2004. "Informational Efficiency of Credit Default Swap and Stock Markets: The Impact of Credit Rating Announcements," CEPR Discussion Papers 4250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:doicae:1136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.