The Breadth of Child Poverty in Europe: An investigation into overlap and accumulation of deprivations
Recent years have witnessed widespread acknowledgement in both academic and policy circles that children deserve a special focus in poverty measurement. It is now generally accepted that children have different basic needs from adults and are harder hit, both in the short- and long-term, when their basic needs are not met. The European Union (EU) has acknowledged the need for child-focused indicators in monitoring poverty and social exclusion and is currently in the process of developing, testing and comparing single indicators of child well-being across member states. This paper aims to add to this debate by providing a micro-analysis of the breadth of child poverty in the European Union, considering both the degree of overlap and accumulation of deprivations across monetary and multidimensional indicators of poverty. Using the 2007 wave of the EU-SILC data, the European Union (EU) monetary 'at-risk-of-poverty' indicator is compared with a range of child deprivation indicators at domain level in four EU Member States (Germany, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom). Overall, the paper’s findings provide a strong call for the need to take a multidimensional approach towards the measurement of child poverty in the EU context.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Whelan & Bertrand Maitre, 2010.
"Poverty in Ireland in Comparative European Perspective,"
Social Indicators Research- An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement,
Springer, vol. 95(1), pages 91-110, January.
- Whelan, Christopher T. & Maitre, Bertrand, 2008. "Poverty in Ireland in Comparative European Perspective," Papers WP265, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Geranda Notten & Keetie Roelen, 2010. "Cross-national comparison of monetary and multidimensional child poverty in the European Union: puzzling with the few pieces that the EUSILC provides," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 13510, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi & Ruhi Saith & Frances Stewart, 2003.
"Does it Matter that we do not Agree on the Definition of Poverty? A Comparison of Four Approaches,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 243-274.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, Ruhi Saith and Frances Stewart, . "Does it matter that we don't agree on the definition of poverty? A comparison of four approaches," QEH Working Papers qehwps107, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- David E. Sahn & David Stifel, 2003. "Exploring Alternative Measures of Welfare in the Absence of Expenditure Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 463-489, December.
- Klasen, Stephan, 2000. "Measuring Poverty and Deprivation in South Africa," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Robert Haveman & Barbara Wolfe, 1995. "The Determinants of Children's Attainments: A Review of Methods and Findings," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1829-1878, December.
- Dekkers, Gijs, 2003. "Financial and Multidimensional Poverty in European Countries: can the former be used as a proxy of the latter?," IRISS Working Paper Series 2003-13, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Asher Ben-Arieh, 2000. "Beyond Welfare: Measuring and Monitoring the State of Children – New Trends and Domains," Social Indicators Research- An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 235-257, December.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, 1997. "Poverty and its many dimensions: The role of income as an indicator," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 345-360.
- Udaya Wagle, 2009. "Capability Deprivation and Income Poverty in the United States, 1994 and 2004: Measurement Outcomes and Demographic Profiles," Social Indicators Research- An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 94(3), pages 509-533, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucf:inwopa:inwopa636. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrizia Faustini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.