On the Equivalence between Labor and Consumption Taxation
This article studies the equivalence between labor and consumption taxes in a stochastic context, where the government can undertake an active portfolio management strategy by investing in both risk-free and risky assets. Using a two-period model we show that such taxes let consumers make the same decisions, and can finance the same amount of government spending in each period.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Faustino 74/B, 25122 Brescia|
Web page: http://www.unibs.it/atp/page.1019.0.0.0.atp?node=224
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuel Farhi, 2007.
"Capital Taxation and Ownership when Markets are Incomplete,"
NBER Working Papers
13390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emmanuel Farhi, 2010. "Capital Taxation and Ownership When Markets Are Incomplete," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(5), pages 908-948.
- Syed Ahsan & Peter Tsigaris, 1998.
"The design of a consumption tax under capital risk,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 53-78, February.
- Syed M. Ahsan & Peter Tsigaris, "undated". "The Design of a Consumption Tax under Capital Risk," EPRU Working Paper Series 97-11, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1981. "Capital Taxation and Accumulation in a Life Cycle Growth Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 533-544, September.
- Louis Kaplow, 1991. "Taxation and Risk Taking: A General Equilibrium Perspective," NBER Working Papers 3709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1985. "The effects of taxation on savings and risk taking," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5, pages 265-311 Elsevier.
- Dirk Schindler, 2008. "Taxing Risky Capital Income - A Commodity Taxation Approach," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 64(3), pages 311-333, September.
- Kaplow, Louis, 1994. "Taxation and Risk Taking: A General Equilibrium Perspective," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(4), pages 789-798, December.
- Ahsan, Syed M., 1989. "Choice of tax base under uncertainty : Consumption or income?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 99-134, October.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:47:y:1994:i:no._4:p:789-98 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zodrow, George R., 1995. "Taxation, uncertainty and the choice of a consumption tax base," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 257-265, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubs:wpaper:0904. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matteo Galizzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.