Review: Scott E. Page The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools, and Societies
How can one tackle reviewing a book, for which entering "scott e page" the difference in google.com produces 24,000 entries? A New York Times, Science Section piece, titled in "Professor's Model, Diversity=Productivity" [Drifus (2008)], a link to a video presentation at the College de France [College de France (2008)], and numerous reviews in blogs along with commentary are only a few of the hits. Max Bazerman's endorsement reads "the book is brilliant. Page has a dazzling eclecticism." Kenneth J. Arrow's endorsement reads Scott Page has brought to our attention a practically important proposition: diversity of viewpoints is of the greatest importance in sloving the problems that face us individually and collectively. Diversity among a group of problem solvers is more important than individual excellence. Page's exposition remarkably combines lightness and breadth of knowledge with rigor and evidence." There is no obvious way to approach the review, especially since the book is clearly aimed a very specific audience. In fact, it is telling how diverse is the group of the "oh so-many other people" [Page (2007), p. xiv] who commented on parts of earlier versions. I start with a brief summary and then present the book's thesis, with the evidence coming first. The presentation is sprinkled with my reactions throughout. I close with a summary evaluation.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Medford, MA 02155, USA|
Phone: (617) 627-3560
Fax: (617) 627-3917
Web page: http://ase.tufts.edu/economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ciccone, Antonio & Hall, Robert E, 1996.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 54-70, March.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993. "Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995. "Productivity and the density of economic activity," Economics Working Papers 120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Muriel Niederle & Carmit Segal & Lise Vesterlund, 2008.
"How Costly is Diversity? Affirmative Action in Light of Gender Differences in Competitiveness,"
NBER Working Papers
13923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muriel Niederle & Carmit Segal & Lise Vesterlund, 2013. "How Costly Is Diversity? Affirmative Action in Light of Gender Differences in Competitiveness," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 59(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Overman, Henry G & Puga, Diego, 2009.
"Labour Pooling As a Source of Agglomeration: An Empirical Investigation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7174, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Henry G. Overman & Diego Puga, 2010. "Labor Pooling as a Source of Agglomeration: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Chapters, in: Agglomeration Economics, pages 133-150 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry G. Overman & Diego Puga, 2008. "Labour pooling as a source of agglomeration: an empirical investigation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33149, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Henry Overman & Diego Puga, 2008. "Labour Pooling as a Source of Agglomeration: An Empirical Investigation," SERC Discussion Papers 0006, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Henry G. Overman & Diego Puga, 2008. "Labour pooling as a source of agglomeration: An empirical investigation," Working Papers 2008-05, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga-Gonzàlez, 2004.
"Economics: An Emerging Small World?,"
2004.84, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & Jose Luis Moraga, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-001/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Marco van der Leij & José Luis Moraga Gonzales, 2004. "Economics: An Emerging Small World?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1287, CESifo Group Munich.
- Antonio Ciccone & Giovanni Peri, 2006.
"Identifying Human-Capital Externalities: Theory with Applications,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(2), pages 381-412.
- Ciccone Antonio & Peri Giovanni, 2007. "Identifying Human Capital Externalities. Theory with Applications," Working Papers 201098, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Antonio Ciccone & Giovanni Peri, 2003. "Identifying Human Capital Externalities: Theory with Applications," Working Papers 6, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr., 2001.
"Externalities and Cities,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(2), pages 245-274, April.
- Enrico Spolaore & Alberto Alesina & Romain Wacziarg, 2000.
"Economic Integration and Political Disintegration,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1276-1296, December.
- Wacziarg, Romain & Spolaore, Enrico & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Economic Integration and Political Disintegration," Scholarly Articles 4553029, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore & Romain Wacziarg, 1997. "Economic Integration and Political Disintegration," NBER Working Papers 6163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hong, Lu & Page, Scott E., 2001. "Problem Solving by Heterogeneous Agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 123-163, March.
- Roland G. Fryer, Jr. & Glenn Loury, 2010. "Valuing Identity," NBER Working Papers 16568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- repec:pit:wpaper:342 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tuf:tuftec:0729. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Kalogeropoulos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.