EstoniaÃs Accession to the EMU
CEE countries have passed the process of transition to market economy and eight of them, including Estonia, joined the European Union in 2004. Estonia has been very successful in the transition process, mainly owing to the currency board-based monetary system, which serves as a signal of commitment to prudent monetary policy and as a guarantee of sound money during the transition period. The current paper discusses the thirteen years of experience in operating the currency board-based monetary system in Estonia. EstoniaÃs accession to the European Union will soon be accompanied by membership of the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU). Here it is also explained why Estonia wants to join the EMU as fast as possible and what the prospects are to do it on time, at the beginning of 2007.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Working Papers in Economics, School of Economics and Business Administration,Tallinn University of Technology (TUTWPE), Volume 17, Pages 5-20|
|Note:||Financial support from the Estonian Science Foundation (project 5306) is greatly acknowledged.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kopli tn. 101, 11712 Tallinn|
Phone: +(372)620 3535
Fax: +(372)620 3946
Web page: http://majandus.ttu.ee
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willem H. Buiter & Clemens Grafe, 2001.
"Central Banking and the Choice of Currency Regime in Accession Countries,"
Chapters in SUERF Studies,
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Willem Buiter & Clemens Grafe, 2001. "Central Banking and the Choice of Currency Regime in Accession Countries," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 6(1), pages 287-318.
- Willem H. Buiter & Clemens Grafe, 2001. "Central Banking and the Choice of Currency Regime in Accession Countries," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 11 edited by Morten Balling, 00.
- Yum K. Kwan & Francis Lui, 1999.
"Hong Kong's Currency Board and Changing Monetary Regimes,"
in: Changes in Exchange Rates in Rapidly Developing Countries: Theory, Practice, and Policy Issues (NBER-EASE volume 7), pages 403-436
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yum K. Kwan & Francis T. Lui, 1996. "Hong Kong's Currency Board and Changing Monetary Regimes," NBER Working Papers 5723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Enoch & TomÃ¡s J. T. BaliÃ±o, 1997. "Currency Board Arrangements: Issues and Experiences," IMF Occasional Papers 151, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry J. Eichengreen & Inci Ã–tker & A. Javier Hamann & Esteban Jadresic & R. B. Johnston & Hugh Bredenkamp & Paul R. Masson, 1998. "Exit Strategies: Policy Options for Countries Seeking Exchange Rate Flexibility," IMF Occasional Papers 168, International Monetary Fund.
- Iikka Korhonen, 2000.
"Currency Boards in the Baltic Countries: What Have We Learned?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 25-46.
- Korhonen, Iikka, 1999. "Currency Boards in the Baltic Countries: What Have We Learned?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 6/1999, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Enrique G. Mendoza & Guillermo A. Calvo, 2000. "Capital-Markets Crises and Economic Collapse in Emerging Markets: An Informational-Frictions Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 59-64, May.
- Anne Marie Gulde, 1999. "The Role of the Currency Board in Bulgaria's Stabilization," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 99/3, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ttu:wpaper:133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Urve Venesaar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.