Analysis, interpretation, and the local dimension of economic transformation: What went wrong and why?
Transformation has been put in motion by a variety of both endogenous and exogenous forces. Although not any process was under the control of those countries, their choice of goals and instruments was anyway particularly great, at least theoretically. However, transformation was implemented as a rather narrowly defined and technically circumscribed problem-solving process aiming at applying sound general principles of economics and management to reach well-defined goals. It turned out to generate new problems and resulted in different outcomes in different countries and, within individual countries, in different territories. This paper treats transformation as innovation and considers that it had to deal with different dimensions, including both general principles and local features, opportunities, and constraints, and both analysis based on problem-solving, and interpretation of the new situation. These dimensions should have been managed simultaneously, but failed to do so. The paper provides a general explanation for the failure in managing simultaneously the various components of transformation and considers what the 2008 international crisis has revealed of the implementation of 20 years of transformation.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Inama 5, 38100 Trento|
Web page: http://www.openloc.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergei Guriev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2009.
"(Un)happiness in Transition,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 143-68, Spring.
- Sergei Guriev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2007. "(Un)Happiness in Transition," Working Papers w0111, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Sergei Guriev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2009. "(Un)Happiness in Transition," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/7fst0pcf5j8, Sciences Po.
- Guriev, Sergei & Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina, 2009. "(Un)Happiness in Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 7258, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yegor Gaidar & Karl Otto Pöhl, 1995. "Russian Reform / International Money," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262071657, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpol:0913. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Rentocchini)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Francesco Rentocchini to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.