A Description of Experimental Tax Evasion Behavior Using Finite Automata: the case of Chile and Italy
In this paper we use a Moore Automata with Binary Stochastic Output Function for exploring the extensive decision on tax evasion made by subjects in experiments run in Chile and Italy. We show first how an hypothesis about subject behavior is converted into an automaton and how do we compute the probabilities of evading for every states of an automaton. We use this procedure for searching the automaton which is able to anticipate the highest number of decisions made by the subjects during the experiments. Finally we show that automata with few states perform better than automaton with many states, and that the bomb crater effect described in  is a well identified pattern of behavior in a subset of subjects.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Inama 5, 38100 Trento|
Web page: http://www-ceel.economia.unitn.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luigi Mittone, 2002.
"Dynamic behaviours in tax evasion. An experimental approach,"
CEEL Working Papers
0203, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Mittone, Luigi, 2006. "Dynamic behaviour in tax evasion: An experimental approach," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 813-835, October.
- Kirchler,Erich, 2007. "The Economic Psychology of Tax Behaviour," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521876742, November.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Allingham, Michael G. & Sandmo, Agnar, 1972. "Income tax evasion: a theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 323-338, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpce:0809. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco Tecilla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.