Sticky Rents and the Stability of Housing Cycles
This paper presents a simple model of housing cycles in a two good economy. We establish that nonsubstitutability between housing services and other commodities along with high degree of heterogeneity in home ownership may lead to a stable spiral path converging to a steady-state equilibrium of rental price and housing stock. Key conditions for stability are a sufficiently sticky rent adjustment dynamics and a relatively rapid depreciation of per capita housing stock.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+90 312) 292-4000|
Fax: (+90 312) 287-1946
Web page: http://ikt.web.etu.edu.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Kahneman & Jack L. Knetsch & Richard H. Thaler, 1991. "Anomalies: The Endowment Effect, Loss Aversion, and Status Quo Bias," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 193-206, Winter.
- Piazzesi, Monika & Schneider, Martin & Tuzel, Selale, 2007.
"Housing, consumption and asset pricing,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 531-569, March.
- Monika Piazzesi & Martin Schneider & Selale Tuzel, 2004. "Housing, Consumption and Asset Pricing," 2004 Meeting Papers 357c, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Monika Piazzesi & Martin Schneider & Selale Tuzel, 2006. "Housing, Consumption, and Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 12036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Erdem Basci & Ismail Saglam, 2008.
"On Roots of Housing Bubbles,"
0803, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1985. "Small Menu Costs and Large Business Cycles: A Macroeconomic Model of Monopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(2), pages 529-538.
- Dusansky, Richard & Koc, Cagatay, 2007. "The capital gains effect in the demand for housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 287-298, March.
- Kenny, Geoff, 1999. "Modelling the demand and supply sides of the housing market: evidence from Ireland1," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 389-409, August.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1990. "Speculative Prices and Popular Models," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 55-65, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tob:wpaper:0901. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ismail Saglam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.