Asymptotic Expansions and Higher Order Properties of Semi-Parametric Estimators in a System of Simultaneous Equations
Asymptotic expansions are made for the distributions of the Maximum Empirical Likelihood (MEL) estimator and the Estimating Equation (EE) estimator (or the Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) in econometrics) for the coefficients of a single structural equation in a system of linear simultaneous equations, which corresponds to a reduced rank regression model. The expansions in terms of the sample size, when the non-centrality parameters increase proportionally, are carried out to O(n-1). Comparisons of the distributions of the MEL and GMM estimators are made. Also we relate the asymptotic expansions of the distributions of the MEL and GMM estimators to the corresponding expansions for the Limited Information Maximum Likelihood (LIML) and the Two-Stage Least Squares (TSLS) estimators. We give useful information on the higher order properties of alternative estimators including the semi-parametric inefficiency factor under the homoscedasticity assumption.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takeuchi, Kei & Morimune, Kimio, 1985. "Third-Order Efficiency of the Extended Maximum Likelihood Estimators in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 177-200, January.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On Finite Sample Properties of Alternative Estimators of Coefficients in a Structural Equation with Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-577, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004.
"Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Whitney Newey & Richard Smith, 2003. "Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Gautam Tripathi & Hyungtaik Ahn, 2001.
"Empirical Likelihood-Based Inference in Conditional Moment Restriction Models,"
CIRJE-F-124, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Gautam Tripathi & Hyungtaik Ahn, 2004. "Empirical Likelihood-Based Inference in Conditional Moment Restriction Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1667-1714, November.
- Pfanzagl, J. & Wefelmeyer, W., 1978. "A third-order optimum property of the maximum likelihood estimator," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Anderson, T W & Kunitomo, Naoto & Sawa, Takamitsu, 1982. "Evaluation of the Distribution Function of the Limited Information Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1009-27, July.
- Fujikoshi, Yasunori & Morimune, Kimio & Kunitomo, Naoto & Taniguchi, Masanobu, 1982. "Asymptotic expansions of the distributions of the estimates of coefficients in a simultaneous equation system," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 191-205, February.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On the Asymptotic Optimality of the LIML Estimator with Possibly Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-542, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Theodore W. Anderson & Naoto Kunijtomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2005. "A New Light from Old Wisdoms : Alternative Estimation Methods of Simultaneous Equations and Microeconometric Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-321, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Anderson, T. W. & Kunitomo, Naoto & Morimune, Kimio, 1986. "Comparing Single-Equation Estimators in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 1-32, April.
- Anderson, T W & Sawa, Takamitsu, 1973. "Distributions of Estimates of Coefficients of a Single Equation in a Simultaneous System and Their Asymptotic Expansions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 683-714, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2009cf611. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.