Asymptotic expansions and higher order properties of semi-parametric estimators in a system of simultaneous equations
Asymptotic expansions are made for the distributions of the Maximum Empirical Likelihood (MEL) estimator and the Estimating Equation (EE) estimator (or the Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) in econometrics) for the coefficients of a single structural equation in a system of linear simultaneous equations, which corresponds to a reduced rank regression model. The expansions in terms of the sample size, when the non-centrality parameters increase proportionally, are carried out to O(n-1). Comparisons of the distributions of the MEL and GMM estimators are made. Also, we relate the asymptotic expansions of the distributions of the MEL and GMM estimators to the corresponding expansions for the Limited Information Maximum Likelihood (LIML) and the Two-Stage Least Squares (TSLS) estimators. We give useful information on the higher order properties of alternative estimators including the semi-parametric inefficiency factor under the homoscedasticity assumption.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004.
"Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard Smith, 2003. "Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Pfanzagl, J. & Wefelmeyer, W., 1978. "A third-order optimum property of the maximum likelihood estimator," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Anderson, T W & Kunitomo, Naoto & Sawa, Takamitsu, 1982. "Evaluation of the Distribution Function of the Limited Information Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1009-1027, July.
- Fujikoshi, Yasunori & Morimune, Kimio & Kunitomo, Naoto & Taniguchi, Masanobu, 1982. "Asymptotic expansions of the distributions of the estimates of coefficients in a simultaneous equation system," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 191-205, February.
- Theodore W. Anderson & Naoto Kunijtomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2005. "A New Light from Old Wisdoms : Alternative Estimation Methods of Simultaneous Equations and Microeconometric Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-321, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Gautam Tripathi & Hyungtaik Ahn, 2004. "Empirical Likelihood-Based Inference in Conditional Moment Restriction Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1667-1714, November.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Gautam Tripathi & Hyungtaik Ahn, 2001. "Empirical Likelihood-Based Inference in Conditional Moment Restriction Models," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-124, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On the Asymptotic Optimality of the LIML Estimator with Possibly Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-542, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Takeuchi, Kei & Morimune, Kimio, 1985. "Third-Order Efficiency of the Extended Maximum Likelihood Estimators in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 177-200, January.
- Anderson, T. W. & Kunitomo, Naoto & Morimune, Kimio, 1986. "Comparing Single-Equation Estimators in a Simultaneous Equation System," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(01), pages 1-32, April.
- Anderson, T W & Sawa, Takamitsu, 1973. "Distributions of Estimates of Coefficients of a Single Equation in a Simultaneous System and Their Asymptotic Expansions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 683-714, July.
- T. W. Anderson & Naoto Kunitomo & Yukitoshi Matsushita, 2008. "On Finite Sample Properties of Alternative Estimators of Coefficients in a Structural Equation with Many Instruments," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-577, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:100:y:2009:i:8:p:1727-1751. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.