The Post-Entry Performance of Irish Plants: Does a plant's Technological Activity Matter?
Is Research and Development activity an important determinant of the probability that a plant will survive? We model the survival of a cohort of Indigenous plants over the period 1986 to 1996 as a function of sectoral and firm characteristics. We use a firm-level dataset provided by Forfás, the policy and advisory board for industrial development in Ireland. We conclude that R&D activity is an important factor which increases the probability of survival for that plant. Specifically, R&D active indigenous plants had a higher probability of surviving the entire period 1986-1996 than non-R&D active plants. We show that this result is robust to alternative measures of technological activity in indigenous plants.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evans, David S., 1986.
"The Relationship Between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries,"
86-33, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Evans, David S, 1987. "The Relationship between Firm Growth, Size, and Age: Estimates for 100 Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 567-81, June.
- David G. Blanchflower & Bruce D. Meyer, 1991.
"A Longitudinal Analysis of Young Entrepreneurs in Australia and the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
3746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Blanchflower & B Meyer, 1991. "A Longitudinal Analysis of Young Entrepreneurs in Australia and the United States," CEP Discussion Papers dp0055, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick P. Walsh, 1997. "The Effect of Real Exchange Rate Movements on the Life Expectancy of Manufacturing Plants in Ireland, 1973-94," Economics Technical Papers 977, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Winter, Sidney G., 1984. "Schumpeterian competition in alternative technological regimes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 287-320.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcduet:9820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.