Life chances and class: Estimating inequality of opportunity in South Africa for various life stages
This paper aims to determine the degree to which class and socio-economic background influence a child’s life chances and their future perspectives. We build on the growing number of papers that deal with the concept of inequality of opportunity. Comparing children from poor and middle class households we find significant differences in terms of access to basic education, sanitation, clean water and mobility. Our multivariate analysis highlights the importance of class membership for schooling outcomes and labour market prospects of a child. The single most important variable to explain schooling outcomes are mother’s education. While income seems to be less important for younger ages it becomes increasingly important for the chances of reaching matric and obtaining tertiary education. The results are robust for various models and panel data.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag X1, 7602 Matieland|
Fax: +27 (0)21-808 2409
Web page: https://www.ekon.sun.ac.za
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaime Saavedra-Chanduví & José R. Molinas & Ricardo Paes de Barros & Francisco H. G. Ferreira, 2009.
"Measuring Inequality of Opportunities in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
IDB Publications (Books),
Inter-American Development Bank, number 60098, February.
- Ricardo Paes de Barros & Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Jose R. Molinas Vega & Jaime Saavedra Chanduvi, 2009. "Measuring Inequality of Opportunities in Latin America and the Caribbean," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2580, September.
- Ingrid Woolard & Stephan Klasen, 2005. "Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 865-897.
- Woolard, Ingrid & Klasen, Stephan, 2004. "Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 1030, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Patrizio Piraino & Robert Haveman, 2006. "Generational Income Mobility," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(3), pages 477-486, 09.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011. "The Measurement Of Inequality Of Opportunity: Theory And An Application To Latin America," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(4), pages 622-657, December.
- Ferreira , Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie, 2008. "The measurement of inequality of opportunity : theory and an application to Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4659, The World Bank.
- David Lam & Cally Ardington & Nicola Branson & Murray Leibbrandt, 2013. "Credit Constraints and the Racial Gap in Post-Secondary Education in South Africa," NBER Working Papers 19607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lam, David & Ardington, Cally & Branson, Nicola & Leibbrandt, Murray, 2013. "Credit constraints and the racial gap in post-secondary education in South Africa," SALDRU Working Papers 111, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1552 is not listed on IDEAS
- Justine Burns & Malcolm Keswell, 2011. "Inheriting the Future: Intergenerational Persistence of Educational status in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa," SALDRU Working Papers 71, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2007. "Inequality Of Opportunity In Brazil," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(4), pages 585-618, December.
- Francois Bourguignon & Francisco H.B. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2005. "Inequality of Opportunity in Brazil," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 133, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2007. "Inequality of opportunity in Brazil," Post-Print halshs-00754189, HAL.
- Francisco Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux & Meltem Aran, 2011. "Measuring inequality of opportunity with imperfect data: the case of Turkey," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 9(4), pages 651-680, December.
- Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie & Aran, Meltem, 2010. "Measuring inequality of opportunity with imperfect data : the case of Turkey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5204, The World Bank.
- Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux & Meltem Aran, 2011. "Measuring Inequality of Opportunity with Imperfect Data: the case of Turkey," Post-Print halshs-00754497, HAL.
- John Roemer, 2006. "Review essay, “The 2006 world development report: Equity and development”," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 4(2), pages 233-244, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sza:wpaper:wpapers184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Melt van Schoor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.