Life chances and class: Estimating inequality of opportunity in South Africa for various life stages
This paper aims to determine the degree to which class and socio-economic background influence a child’s life chances and their future perspectives. We build on the growing number of papers that deal with the concept of inequality of opportunity. Comparing children from poor and middle class households we find significant differences in terms of access to basic education, sanitation, clean water and mobility. Our multivariate analysis highlights the importance of class membership for schooling outcomes and labour market prospects of a child. The single most important variable to explain schooling outcomes are mother’s education. While income seems to be less important for younger ages it becomes increasingly important for the chances of reaching matric and obtaining tertiary education. The results are robust for various models and panel data.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +27 (0)21-808 2409
Web page: http://www.ekon.sun.ac.zaEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2007.
"Inequality Of Opportunity In Brazil,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(4), pages 585-618, December.
- Bourguignon, François & Ferreira, Francisco & Menéndez, Marta, 2007. "Inequality of Opportunity in Brazil," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1552, Paris Dauphine University.
- Francois Bourguignon & Francisco H.B. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2005. "Inequality of Opportunity in Brazil," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 133, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Jaime Saavedra-Chanduví & José R. Molinas & Ricardo Paes de Barros & Francisco H. G. Ferreira, 2009.
"Measuring Inequality of Opportunities in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
IDB Publications (Books),
Inter-American Development Bank, number 60098.
- Ricardo Paes de Barros & Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Jose R. Molinas Vega & Jaime Saavedra Chanduvi, 2009. "Measuring Inequality of Opportunities in Latin America and the Caribbean," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2580, October.
- Ferreira , Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie, 2008.
"The measurement of inequality of opportunity : theory and an application to Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4659, The World Bank.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011. "The Measurement Of Inequality Of Opportunity: Theory And An Application To Latin America," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(4), pages 622-657, December.
- Lam, David & Ardington, Cally & Branson, Nicola & Leibbrandt, Murray, 2013.
"Credit constraints and the racial gap in post-secondary education in South Africa,"
SALDRU Working Papers
111, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- David Lam & Cally Ardington & Nicola Branson & Murray Leibbrandt, 2013. "Credit Constraints and the Racial Gap in Post-Secondary Education in South Africa," NBER Working Papers 19607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Roemer, 2006. "Review essay, “The 2006 world development report: Equity and development”," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 233-244, August.
- Justine Burns & Malcolm Keswell, 2011. "Inheriting the Future: Intergenerational Persistence of Educational status in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa," SALDRU Working Papers 71, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Woolard, Ingrid & Klasen, Stephan, 2004.
"Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1030, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ingrid Woolard & Stephan Klasen, 2005. "Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 865-897.
- Patrizio Piraino & Robert Haveman, 2006. "Generational Income Mobility," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(3), pages 477-486, 09.
- Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie & Aran, Meltem, 2010.
"Measuring inequality of opportunity with imperfect data : the case of Turkey,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5204, The World Bank.
- Francisco Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux & Meltem Aran, 2011. "Measuring inequality of opportunity with imperfect data: the case of Turkey," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 651-680, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sza:wpaper:wpapers184. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Melt van Schoor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.