Key Indicators in Canada
In recent years there has been considerable international interest in key indicators. This paper surveys recent Canadian attempts to develop key indicators of economic, social, environmental or physical well-being. It classifies and discusses over forty such projects and publications in detail; briefly lists a further twenty projects; and provides references to a number of up-to-date surveys and annotated bibliographies which contain additional examples of indicator development in Canada. The paper provides information on a number of research centres working on indicator development and discusses international indicators which are relevant to the Canadian scene, either because they represent 'rototypes' of some particular kind of measure, or else might be regarded as constituting 'best practice' in an area. The paper also examines the motivations behind indicator development and seeks to address the question of whether efforts to extend measurement outside the economic field constitute attempts to "measure the unmeasurable".
|Date of creation:||30 Nov 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6|
Web page: http://www.statcan.gc.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keuning, Steven, 1998. "A Powerful Link between Economic Theory and Practice: National Accounting [Review Article]," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(3), pages 437-46, September.
- William D. Nordhaus & James Tobin, 1971.
"Is Growth Obsolete?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
319, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- William D. Nordhaus & James Tobin, 1973. "Is Growth Obsolete?," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Economic and Social Performance, pages 509-564 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William D. Nordhaus & James Tobin, 1972. "Is Growth Obsolete?," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Research: Retrospect and Prospect, Volume 5, Economic Growth, pages 1-80 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kapuria-Foreman, Vibha & Perlman, Mark, 1995. "An Economic Historian's Economist: Remembering Simon Kuznets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1524-47, November.
- Keuning, Steven, 1998. "Interaction between National Accounts and Socio-economic Policy," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 44(3), pages 345-59, September.
- Eisner, Robert, 1989. "The Total Incomes System of Accounts," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226196381.
- Andrew Sharpe, 2004. "Literature Review of Frameworks for Macro-indicators," CSLS Research Reports 2004-03, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Andrew Sharpe, 1999. "A Survey of Indicators of Economic and Social Well-being," CSLS Research Reports 99wb, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Kendrick, John W, 1979. "Expanding Imputed Values in the National Income and Product Accounts," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 25(4), pages 349-63, December.
- Landefeld, J Steven & McCulla, Stephanie H, 2000. "Accounting for Nonmarket Household Production within a National Accounts Framework," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(3), pages 289-307, September.
- Osberg, Lars & Sharpe, Andrew, 2002. "An Index of Economic Well-Being for Selected OECD Countries," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(3), pages 291-316, September.
- Osberg, L. & Sharpe, A., 1998. "An Index of Economic Well-being for Canada," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 98-08, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Ahlroth, Sofia & Bjorklund, Anders & Forslund, Anders, 1997. "The Output of the Swedish Education Sector," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(1), pages 89-104, March.
- Michael Hagerty & Robert Cummins & Abbott Ferriss & Kenneth Land & Alex Michalos & Mark Peterson & Andrew Sharpe & Joseph Sirgy & Joachim Vogel, 2001. "Quality of Life Indexes for National Policy: Review and Agenda for Research," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 55(1), pages 1-96, July.
- Eisner, Robert, 1988. "Extended Accounts for National Income and Product," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(4), pages 1611-84, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stc:stcp5e:2005037e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Brown)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.