Insurance and Optimal Growth
The aim of this paper is to propose a theoretical connection between insurance and economic growth. We develop a simple model to insert microeconomically founded optimal insurance with moral hazard in a standard macroeconomic framework of optimal growth. We characterize the long-run equilibrium, the global dynamics and the evolution of insurance coverage with time. Three types of trajectories are identified: first, a simple dynamics with permanent partial insurance or full insurance, second, one with regime switching converging to a steady state with full or partial insurance and, finally, one with mixed equilibrium.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnott, Richard J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1988.
" The Basic Analytics of Moral Hazard,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(3), pages 383-413.
- Hopenhayn, Hugo A & Nicolini, Juan Pablo, 1997.
"Optimal Unemployment Insurance,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 412-38, April.
- Hopenhayn, H. & Nicolini, P.J., 1996. "Optimal Unemployment Insurance," RCER Working Papers 421, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Lars Ljungqvist & Thomas Sargent, 1999. "Matlab code for Hopenhayn-Nicolini's optimal unemployment insurance model," QM&RBC Codes 18, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Dreze, Jacques H. & Modigliani, Franco, 1972. "Consumption decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 308-335, December.
- R.A. Somerville, 2004. "Insurance, Consumption, and Saving: A Dynamic Analysis in Continuous Time," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 1130-1140, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521331586 is not listed on IDEAS
- Young, Eric R., 2004.
"Unemployment insurance and capital accumulation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 1683-1710, November.
- Eric Young, 2003. "Code for "Unemployment Insurance and Capital Accumulation"," QM&RBC Codes 148, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Mark V. Pauly, 2002. "Health Insurance and the Growth in Pharmaceutical Expenditures," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(S2), pages 587-613.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1982.
"Insurance and Saving: Some Further Results,"
Cahiers de recherche
8231, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ehrenberg, Ronald G & Oaxaca, Ronald L, 1976. "Unemployment Insurance, Duration of Unemployment, and Subsequent Wage Gain," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 754-66, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521337465 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Morelli, Massimo & Sjostrom, Tomas, 2001. "Occupational Choice and Dynamic Incentives," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(4), pages 781-810, October.
- Koeniger, Winfried, 2002. "The Dynamics of Market Insurance, Insurable Assets, and Wealth Accumulation," IZA Discussion Papers 615, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pauly, Mark V, 1974. "Overinsurance and Public Provision of Insurance: The Roles of Moral Hazard and Adverse Selection," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 44-62, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/4422. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.