Behavioral Banking: A Theory of the Banking Firm with Time-Inconsistent Depositors
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Esther Duflo & Michael Kremer & Jonathan Robinson, 2011.
"Nudging Farmers to Use Fertilizer: Theory and Experimental Evidence from Kenya,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(6), pages 2350-2390, October.
- Esther Duflo & Michael Kremer & Jonathan Robinson, 2009. "Nudging Farmers to Use Fertilizer: Theory and Experimental Evidence from Kenya," NBER Working Papers 15131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heather Royer & Mark Stehr & Justin Sydnor, 2015. "Incentives, Commitments, and Habit Formation in Exercise: Evidence from a Field Experiment with Workers at a Fortune-500 Company," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 7(3), pages 51-84, July.
- Richard H. Thaler & Shlomo Benartzi, 2004. "Save More Tomorrow (TM): Using Behavioral Economics to Increase Employee Saving," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(S1), pages 164-187, February.
- Stefano DellaVigna & Ulrike Malmendier, 2004.
"Contract Design and Self-Control: Theory and Evidence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(2), pages 353-402.
- Malmendier, Ulrike M. & Della Vigna, Stefano, 2003. "Contract Design and Self Control: Theory and Evidence," Research Papers 1801, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- R. H. Strotz, 1955. "Myopia and Inconsistency in Dynamic Utility Maximization," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 165-180.
- repec:bla:jpbect:v:19:y:2017:i:3:p:748-761 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leandro S. Carvalho & Stephan Meier & Stephanie W. Wang, 2016. "Poverty and Economic Decision-Making: Evidence from Changes in Financial Resources at Payday," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 106(2), pages 260-284, February.
- Xavier Giné & Dean Karlan & Jonathan Zinman, 2010.
"Put Your Money Where Your Butt Is: A Commitment Contract for Smoking Cessation,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(4), pages 213-235, October.
- Gine, Xavier & Karlan, Dean & Zinman, Jonathan, 2009. "Put your money where your butt is : a commitment contract for smoking cessation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4985, The World Bank.
- Miller, Stephen M., 1975. "A theory of the banking firm : Comment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 123-128, January.
- Diamond, Peter & Koszegi, Botond, 2003. "Quasi-hyperbolic discounting and retirement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 1839-1872, September.
- Daniel Gottlieb, 2008. "Competition over Time-Inconsistent Consumers," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(4), pages 673-684, August.
- Attila Ambrus & Georgy Egorov, 2013. "Comment on “Commitment vs. Flexibility”," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 81(5), pages 2113-2124, September.
- Nava Ashraf & Dean Karlan & Wesley Yin, 2006.
"Tying Odysseus to the Mast: Evidence From a Commitment Savings Product in the Philippines,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 121(2), pages 635-672.
- Nava Ashraf & Dean S. Karlan & Wesley Yin, 2005. "Tying Odysseus to the Mast: Evidence from a Commitment Savings Product in the Philippines," Working Papers 917, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Nava Ashaf & Dean Karlan & Wesley Yin, 2006. "Tying odysseus to the mast: Evidence from a commitment savings product in the philippines," Natural Field Experiments 00206, The Field Experiments Website.
- Matthew Rabin, 2013. "Incorporating Limited Rationality into Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 51(2), pages 528-543, June.
- Esteban, Susanna & Miyagawa, Eiichi & Shum, Matthew, 2007.
"Nonlinear pricing with self-control preferences,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 306-338, July.
- Matt Shum & S Esteban & E Miyagawa, 2003. "Nonlinear Pricing with Self-Control Preferences," Economics Working Paper Archive 503, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Esteban, Susanna & Miyagawa, Eiichi & Shum, Matthew, 2003. "Nonlinear Pricing with Self-Control Preferences," Working Papers 10-03-1, Pennsylvania State University, Department of Economics.
- repec:taf:oxdevs:v:45:y:2017:i:3:p:321-337 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kreps, David M, 1979. "A Representation Theorem for "Preference for Flexibility"," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 565-577, May.
- Shlomo Benartzi & Richard Thaler, 2004. "Save more tomorrow: Using behavioral economics to increase employee saving," Natural Field Experiments 00337, The Field Experiments Website.
- Barth, James R. & Lin, Chen & Ma, Yue & Seade, Jesús & Song, Frank M., 2013. "Do bank regulation, supervision and monitoring enhance or impede bank efficiency?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2879-2892.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, January.
- Amromin, Gene & Smith, Paul, 2003. "What Explains Early Withdrawals From Retirement Accounts? Evidence From a Panel of Taxpayers," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 56(3), pages 595-612, September.
- Chari, V V & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1988. " Banking Panics, Information, and Rational Expectations Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 749-761, July.
- George-Marios Angeletos, 2001. "The Hyberbolic Consumption Model: Calibration, Simulation, and Empirical Evaluation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 47-68, Summer.
- Dermine, J., 1986. "Deposit rates, credit rates and bank capital : The Klein-Monti Model Revisited," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 99-114, March.
- Marc Labie & Carolina Laureti & Ariane Szafarz, 2017.
"Discipline and flexibility: a behavioural perspective on microfinance product design,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(3), pages 321-337, July.
- Marc Labie & Carolina Laureti & Ariane Szafarz, 2016. "Discipline and Flexibility: A Behavioral Perspective on Microfinance Product Design," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/239875, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David Laibson, 1997. "Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 443-478.
- Baltensperger, Ernst, 1980. "Alternative approaches to the theory of the banking firm," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-37, January.
More about this item
KeywordsBehavioral economics; banking; savings account; liquidity premium; time inconsistency; commitment; quasi-hyperbolic discounting.;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- D53 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Financial Markets
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Micro-Based Behavioral Economics - - - Role and Effects of Psychological, Emotional, Social, and Cognitive Factors on Decision Making
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2017-11-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2017-11-12 (Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2017-11-12 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MFD-2017-11-12 (Microfinance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sol:wpaper:2013/260066. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/cebulbe.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.