The Error Correction Model as a Test for Cointegration
In this paper we generate critical values for a test for cointegration based on the joint significance of the levels terms in an error correction equation. We show that the appropriate critical values are higher than those derived from the standard F-distribution. We compare the power properties of this test with those of the Engle-Granger test and Kremers et al´s t-test based on the t-statistic from an error correction equation. The F-test has higher power than the Engle-Granger test but lower power than the t-form of the error correction test. However, the F-form of the test has the advantage that its distribution is independent of the parameters of the problem being considered. Finally, we consider a test for cointegration between UK and US interest rates. We show that the F-test rejects the null of no cointegration between these variables although the Engle-Granger test fails to do so.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 114 222 3399
Fax: + 44 (0)114 222 3458
Web page: http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 2000.
"Distributions of Error Correction Tests for Cointegration,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0561, Econometric Society.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 2002. "Distributions of error correction tests for cointegration," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 285-318, 06.
- Neil R. Ericsson & James G. MacKinnon, 1999. "Distributions of error correction tests for cointegration," International Finance Discussion Papers 655, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Davidson, James E H, et al, 1978. "Econometric Modelling of the Aggregate Time-Series Relationship between Consumers' Expenditure and Income in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(352), pages 661-92, December.
- Williams, D, 1978. "Estimating in Levels or First Differences: A Defence of the Method Used for Certain Demand-for-Money Equations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 564-68, September.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1978. "Serial Correlation as a Convenient Simplification, not a Nuisance: A Comment on a Study of the Demand for Money by the Bank of England," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 549-63, September.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shf:wpaper:2003001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jacob Holmes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.