Effects of the EU-Enlargement on Income Convergence in the Eastern Border Regions
This paper analyses the effect of the EU enlargement process on income convergence among regions in the EU and in the Eastern neighbourhood of the EU. The data used is NUTS II regions in the EU and Oblasts' of Russia over the period 1996-2004. The estimation techniques used take into account both regional and spatial heterogeneity. The main findings are that the regional income differences are reduced within EU15. The income convergence within the EU is mainly driven by reductions in the differences across countries rather than by a reduction in regional differences within countries. When differences in initial conditions in the regions are controlled for by fixed regional effects there are strong evidences of convergence among regions in all studied country groups.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +48 22 206 29 00
Fax: +48 22 206 29 01
Web page: http://www.case-research.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marius BRÜLHART & Matthieu CROZET & Pamina KOENIG, 2004.
"Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
04.02, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Marius Brülhart & Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 853-875, 06.
- Crozet, Matthieu & Brülhart, Marius & Koenig, Pamina, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery : The Impact of Changing Market Potential," HWWA Discussion Papers 270, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Marius Brülhart & Matthieu Crozet & Pamina Koenig, 2004. "Enlargement and the EU Periphery: The Impact of Changing Market Potential," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00096285, HAL.
- Maurseth, Per Botolf, 2001. "Convergence, geography and technology," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 247-276, September.
- ANDRZEJ CIEŚLIK, 2005. "Location Of Foreign Firms And National Border Effects: The Case Of Poland," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 96(3), pages 287-297, 07.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Henry G. Overman, 2003.
"The spatial distribution of economic activities in the European Union,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20023, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Overman, Henry G., 2004. "The spatial distribution of economic activities in the European Union," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 64, pages 2845-2909 Elsevier.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Henry Overman, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Economic Activities in the European Union," CEP Discussion Papers dp0587, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nazrul Islam, 2003. "What have We Learnt from the Convergence Debate?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 309-362, 07.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Roberto Basile & Gianfranco Piras, 2005. "Using Spatial Panel Data in Modelling Regional Growth and Convergence," ISAE Working Papers 55, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Anca Carrington, 2003. "A Divided Europe? Regional Convergence and Neighbourhood Spillover Effects," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 381-393, 08.
- Cem Ertur & Wilfried Koch, 2006. "Regional disparities in the European Union and the enlargement process: an exploratory spatial data analysis, 1995–2000," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 723-765, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sec:cnstan:0383. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agata Kwiek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.