Affirmative Action and Political Participation: Elected Representatives in the Panchayats of Orissa
Drawing on empirical data from four gram panchayas in Orissa the paper examines the 'representation' of elected representatives-more particularly those of disadvantaged categories-by exploring their participation in the governance process, responsiveness towards the interst of their constitutents and their accountability in gram panchatats. The paper concludes that despite the opportunity for inclusion and empowerment affirmative actin in decentralisation has not been successful in ensuring effective representation of disadvantaged groups with respect to the above attributes.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.isec.ac.in/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Lederman & Norman V. Loayza & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"Accountability And Corruption: Political Institutions Matter,"
Economics and Politics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17, pages 1-35, 03.
- Lederman, Daniel & Loayza, Norman & Reis Soares, Rodrigo, 2001. "Accountability and corruption : political institutions matter," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2708, The World Bank.
- Nirmala Rao, 1998. "Representation in Local Politics: a Reconsideration and some New Evidence," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 46(1), pages 19-35, 03.
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135.
- Anand Inbanathan, 2001. "Representation and Accountability in Local Government: The Panchayats of Karnataka," Working Papers 96, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Blair, Harry, 2000. "Participation and Accountability at the Periphery: Democratic Local Governance in Six Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 21-39, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sch:wpaper:166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B B Chand)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.