Exhaustible natural resources, normal prices and intertemporal equilibrium
This paper proposes an extension of the classical theory of normal prices to an n-commodity economy with exhaustible natural resources. The central idea is developed by two analytical steps. Firstly, it is assumed that a given flow of an exhaustible resource in short supply is combined with the coexistence of two methods of production using that resource. Sraffaâ€™s equations are reinterpreted by adopting the concept of effectual supply of natural resources and avoiding the assumption of perfect foresight. Secondly, in force of the Hotelling rule, some limitations are imposed to the dynamics of normal prices and, by implication, to technical and structural change. A comparison, between such approach and the notion of intertemporal equilibrium with natural resources, introduces the central argument. The final part of the paper presents a critical assessment of recent works in this area. The conclusions are focused on methodological issues.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Del Castro Laurenziano 9, 00161 Roma|
Phone: +39 6 49766353
Fax: +39 6 4462040
Web page: http://sapienza.dipecodir.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. H. Strotz, 1955. "Myopia and Inconsistency in Dynamic Utility Maximization," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 165-180.
- Heinz Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 1997. "Exhaustible Resources in a Dynamic Input-Output Model with 'Classical' Features," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 235-252.
- Heinz D. Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 2001. "Classical Economics and the Problem of Exhaustible Resources," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 282-296, 08.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676, August.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1995. "Theory of Production," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443258, October.
- Christian Bidard & Guido Erreygers, 2001. "The Corn–Guano Model," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 243-253, 08. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sap:wpaper:wp57. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luisa Giuriato)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.