Exhaustible natural resources, normal prices and intertemporal equilibrium
This paper proposes an extension of the classical theory of normal prices to an n-commodity economy with exhaustible natural resources. The central idea is developed by two analytical steps. Firstly, it is assumed that a given flow of an exhaustible resource in short supply is combined with the coexistence of two methods of production using that resource. Sraffa’s equations are reinterpreted by adopting the concept of effectual supply of natural resources and avoiding the assumption of perfect foresight. Secondly, in force of the Hotelling rule, some limitations are imposed to the dynamics of normal prices and, by implication, to technical and structural change. A comparison, between such approach and the notion of intertemporal equilibrium with natural resources, introduces the central argument. The final part of the paper presents a critical assessment of recent works in this area. The conclusions are focused on methodological issues. Final version of this working paper: S. Parrinello, “The Notion of Effectual Supply and the Theory of Normal Prices with Exhaustible Natural Resources”, Economic Systems Research, Vol. 16, No. 3, September 2004.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heinz Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 1997. "Exhaustible Resources in a Dynamic Input-Output Model with 'Classical' Features," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 235-252.
- Heinz D. Kurz & Neri Salvadori, 2001. "Classical Economics and the Problem of Exhaustible Resources," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 282-296, 08.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1997.
"Theory of Production,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521588676.
- Kurz,Heinz D. & Salvadori,Neri, 1995. "Theory of Production," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521443258, February.
- Christian Bidard & Guido Erreygers, 2001. "The Corn–Guano Model," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 243-253, 08. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30827. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.