Black living standards in South Africa before democracy: New evidence from heights
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Bokang Mpeta & Johan Fourie & Kris Inwood, 2017. "Black living standards in South Africa before democracy: New evidence from heights," Working Papers 10/2017, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
References listed on IDEAS
- Moradi, Alexander & Baten, Joerg, 2005. "Inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa: New Data and New Insights from Anthropometric Estimates," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1233-1265, August.
- Kris Inwood & Oliver Masakure, 2013. "Poverty and Physical Well-being among the Coloured Population in South Africa," Economic History of Developing Regions, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 56-82, December.
- Martine Mariotti, 2012. "Labour markets during apartheid in South Africa," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 65(3), pages 1100-1122, August.
- Johan Fourie & Dieter von Fintel, 2010.
"A History With Evidence: Income inequality in the Dutch Cape Colony,"
184, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Johan Fourie & Dieter von Fintel, 2011. "A History With Evidence: Income inequality in the Dutch Cape Colony," Working Papers 0007, Utrecht University, Centre for Global Economic History.
- Johan Fourie & Dieter von Fintel, 2010. "A History with Evidence: Income inequality in the Dutch Cape Colony," Working Papers 23/2010, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Martine Mariotti, 2015.
"Fathers' Employment and Sons' Stature: The Long-Run Effects of a Positive Regional Employment Shock in South Africa's Mining Industry,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 485-514.
- Martine Mariotti, 2012. "Father’s employment and sons’ stature: the long run effects of a positive regional employment shock in South Africa’s mining industry," Working Papers 02/2012, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Bodenhorn, Howard & Guinnane, Timothy W. & Mroz, Thomas A., 2017.
"Sample-Selection Biases and the Industrialization Puzzle,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 77(01), pages 171-207, March.
- Howard Bodenhorn & Timothy W. Guinnane & Thomas A. Mroz, 2015. "Sample-selection biases and the “industrialization puzzle”," NBER Working Papers 21249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Komlos, 2003.
"Access to Food and the Biological Standard of Living: Perspectives on the Nutritional Status of Native Americans,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 252-255, March.
- John Komlos, "undated". "Access to Food and the Biological Standard of Living: Perspectives on the Nutritional Status of Native Americans," Articles by John Komlos 1, Department of Economics, University of Munich.
- Denis Cogneau & Léa Rouanet, 2011. "Living conditions in Côte d'Ivoire and Ghana 1925-1985: What Do Survey Data on Height Stature Tell Us," Post-Print halshs-00754697, HAL.
- repec:bla:sajeco:v:85:y:2017:i:2:p:298-318 is not listed on IDEAS
- Akachi, Yoko & Canning, David, 2015.
"Inferring the economic standard of living and health from cohort height: Evidence from modern populations in developing countries,"
Economics & Human Biology,
Elsevier, vol. 19(C), pages 114-128.
- Canning David & Akachi Yoko, 2015. "Inferring the economic standard of living and health from cohort height: Evidence from modern populations in developing countries," WIDER Working Paper Series 093, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Grasgruber, P. & Sebera, M. & Hrazdíra, E. & Cacek, J. & Kalina, T., 2016. "Major correlates of male height: A study of 105 countries," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 172-195.
- Sophia du Plessis & Stan du Plessis, 2012. "Happy in the service of the Company: the purchasing power of VOC salaries at the Cape in the 18th century," Working Papers 01/2012, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Steckel, Richard H., 2009.
"Heights and human welfare: Recent developments and new directions,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Richard H. Steckel, 2008. "Heights and Human Welfare: Recent Developments and New Directions," NBER Working Papers 14536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wilson,Francis, 2011. "Labour in the South African Gold Mines 1911â€“1969," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521175098, April.
- Johan Fourie, 2013. "The remarkable wealth of the Dutch Cape Colony: measurements from eighteenth-century probate inventories," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 66(2), pages 419-448, May.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Black Living Standards in South Africa before Democracy
by Gregori GV in NEP-HIS blog on 2018-02-01 20:52:01
More about this item
Keywordsapartheid; living standards; South Africa; heights; anthropometric; twentieth century;
- N37 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - Africa; Oceania
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:670. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Tanton). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ersacza.html .