Semiiparametric Selection Models with Binary Outcomes
This paper addresses the estimation of a semiparametric sample selection index model where both the selection rule and the outcome variable are binary. Since the marginal effects are often of primary interest and are difficult to recover in a semiparametric setting, we develop estimators for both the marginal effects and the underlying model parameters. The marginal effect estimator uses only observations where the selection probability is above a certain threshold. A key innovation is that this high probability set is adaptive to the data. The model parameter estimator is a quasi-likelihood estimator based on regular kernels with bias corrections. We establish their large sample properties and provide simulation evidence confirming that these estimators perform well in finite samples.
|Date of creation:||22 May 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: New Jersey Hall - 75 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248|
Phone: (732) 932-7363
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://economics.rutgers.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard W. Blundell & James L. Powell, 2004.
"Endogeneity in Semiparametric Binary Response Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 655-679.
- Richard Blundell & James L. Powell, 2001. "Endogeneity in semiparametric binary response models," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Jacho-Chávez, David T. & Lewbel, Arthur, 2014.
"Uniform convergence of weighted sums of non and semiparametric residuals for estimation and testing,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 426-443.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & David Jacho-Chavez & Arthur Lewbel, 2010. "Uniform Convergence of Weighted Sums of Non- and Semi-parametric Residuals for Estimation and Testing," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 756, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2012.
- Whitney K. Newey & Fushing Hsieh & James M. Robins, 2004. "Twicing Kernels and a Small Bias Property of Semiparametric Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(3), pages 947-962, May.
- Rothe, Christoph, 2009. "Semiparametric estimation of binary response models with endogenous regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 51-64, November.
- Azeem M. Shaikh & Edward J. Vytlacil, 2011. "Partial Identification in Triangular Systems of Equations With Binary Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(3), pages 949-955, May.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-1057, September.
- Francis Vella, 1998. "Estimating Models with Sample Selection Bias: A Survey," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 127-169.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Nychka, Douglas W, 1987. "Semi-nonparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 363-390, March.
- Andrew Chesher, 2005.
"Nonparametric Identification under Discrete Variation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(5), pages 1525-1550, September.
- Andrew Chesher, 2003. "Nonparametric identification under discrete variation," CeMMAP working papers CWP19/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Heckman, James J, 1990. "Varieties of Selection Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 313-318, May.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2007. "NONPARAMETRIC CONTINUOUS/DISCRETE CHOICE MODELS," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1429-1439, November.
- Klein, R.W., 1991. "Specification Tests for Binery Choice Models Based on Index Quantiles," Papers 71, Bell Communications - Economic Research Group.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Powell, James L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of censored selection models with a nonparametric selection mechanism," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 3-29, July.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Marcia M. A. Schafgans, 1998. "Semiparametric Estimation of the Intercept of a Sample Selection Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 497-517.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-694, July.
- Klein, Roger & Shen, Chan, 2010. "Bias Corrections In Testing And Estimating Semiparametric, Single Index Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(06), pages 1683-1718, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rut:rutres:201403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.