Testing Overidentifying Restrictions with Many Instruments and Heteroskedasticity
This paper gives a test of overidentifying restrictions that is robust to many instruments and heteroskedasticity. It is based on a jackknife version of the Sargan test statistic, having a numerator that is the objective function minimized by the JIVE2 estimator of Angrist, Imbens, and Krueger (1999). Correct asymptotic critical values are derived for this test when the number of instruments grows large, at a rate up to the sample size. It is also shown that the test is valid when the number instruments is fixed and there is homoskedasticity. This test improves on recently proposed tests by allowing for heteroskedasticity and by avoiding assumptions on the instrument projection matrix. The asymptotics is based on the heteroskedasticity robust many instrument asymptotics of Chao et. al. (2010).
|Date of creation:||15 May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: New Jersey Hall - 75 Hamilton Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248|
Phone: (732) 932-7363
Fax: (732) 932-7416
Web page: http://economics.rutgers.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekker, Paul A, 1994. "Alternative Approximations to the Distributions of Instrumental Variable Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 657-681, May.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Paul J. Devereux & Daniel A. Ackerberg, 2008.
"Improved Jive estimators for overidentified linear models with and without heteroskedasticity,"
200817, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Daniel A. Ackerberg & Paul J. Devereux, 2009. "Improved JIVE Estimators for Overidentified Linear Models with and without Heteroskedasticity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(2), pages 351-362, May.
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Devereux, Paul J., 2008. "Improved JIVE Estimators for Overidentified Linear Models with and without Heteroskedasticity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6926, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Hansen & Jerry Hausman & Whitney Newey, 2006.
"Estimation with many instrumental variables,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP19/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Yoonseok Lee & Ryo Okui, 2009. "A Specification Test for Instrumental Variables Regression with Many Instruments," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1741, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Chao & Norman Swanson, 2004.
"Consistent Estimation with a Large Number of Weak Instruments,"
Departmental Working Papers
200421, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- John C. Chao & Norman R. Swanson, 2005. "Consistent Estimation with a Large Number of Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(5), pages 1673-1692, 09.
- John C. Chao & Norman Rasmus Swanson, 2004. "Consistent Estimation with a Large Number of Weak Instruments," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm374, Yale School of Management.
- Chao, John Chao & Norman R. Swanson, 2003. "Consistent Estimation with a Large Number of Weak Instruments," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1417, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Paul A. Bekker & Jan Ploeg, 2005. "Instrumental variable estimation based on grouped data," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(3), pages 239-267.
- Chao, John C. & Swanson, Norman R. & Hausman, Jerry A. & Newey, Whitney K. & Woutersen, Tiemen, 2012.
"Asymptotic Distribution Of Jive In A Heteroskedastic Iv Regression With Many Instruments,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(01), pages 42-86, February.
- Norman R. Swanson & John C. Chao & Jerry A. Hausman & Whitney K. Newey & Tiemen Woutersen, 2011. "Asymptotic Distribution of JIVE in a Heteroskedastic IV Regression with Many Instruments," Departmental Working Papers 201110, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Chao & Swanson & Hausman & Newey & Woutersen, 2010. "Asymptotic Distribution of JIVE in a Heteroskedastic IV Regression with Many Instruments," Economics Working Paper Archive 567, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Phillips, Garry D A & Hale, C, 1977. "The Bias of Instrumental Variable Estimators of Simultaneous Equation Systems," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(1), pages 219-228, February.
- Angrist, J D & Imbens, G W & Krueger, A B, 1999.
"Jackknife Instrumental Variables Estimation,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 57-67, Jan.-Feb..
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Morimune, Kimio, 1983. "Approximate Distributions of k-Class Estimators When the Degree of Overidentifiability Is Large Compared with the Sample Size," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 821-841, May.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Stock, James H., 2007. "Testing with many weak instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 24-46, May.
- Anatolyev, Stanislav & Gospodinov, Nikolay, 2011.
"Specification Testing In Models With Many Instruments,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 427-441, April.
- Stanislav Anatolyev & Nikolay Gospodinov, 2008. "Specification Testing in Models with Many Instruments," Working Papers w0124, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Whitney Newey & Frank Windmeijer, 2005. "GMM with many weak moment conditions," CeMMAP working papers CWP18/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blomquist, Soren & Dahlberg, Matz, 1999. "Small Sample Properties of LIML and Jackknife IV Estimators: Experiments with Weak Instruments," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(1), pages 69-88, Jan.-Feb..
- Fuller, Wayne A, 1977. "Some Properties of a Modification of the Limited Information Estimator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 939-953, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rut:rutres:201118. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.