Using Resource Scarceness Characteristics to Solve the Multi-Mode Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem
In the past decades, resource parameters have been introduced in project scheduling literature to measure the scarceness of resources of a project instance. In this paper, we use these resource scarceness parameters to differentiate in the search process needed to solve the multi-mode resource constrained project scheduling problem, in which multiple execution modes are available for each activity in the project. Therefore, we propose a scatter search algorithm, which is executed with different improvement methods, each tailored to the specific characteristics of different renewable and nonrenewable resource scarceness values. Computational results prove the effectiveness of the improvement methods and reveal that the procedure is among the most competitive algorithms in the open literature.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pinol, H. & Beasley, J.E., 2006. "Scatter Search and Bionomic Algorithms for the aircraft landing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(2), pages 439-462, June.
- Marti, Rafael & Laguna, Manuel & Glover, Fred, 2006. "Principles of scatter search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 359-372, March.
- Boctor, Fayez F., 1996. "A new and efficient heuristic for scheduling projects with resource restrictions and multiple execution modes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 349-361, April.
- Dale F. Cooper, 1976. "Heuristics for Scheduling Resource-Constrained Projects: An Experimental Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(11), pages 1186-1194, July.
- Bouleimen, K. & Lecocq, H., 2003. "A new efficient simulated annealing algorithm for the resource-constrained project scheduling problem and its multiple mode version," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 149(2), pages 268-281, September.
- Lova, Antonio & Tormos, Pilar & Cervantes, Mariamar & Barber, Federico, 2009. "An efficient hybrid genetic algorithm for scheduling projects with resource constraints and multiple execution modes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 302-316, February.
- Brucker, Peter & Drexl, Andreas & Mohring, Rolf & Neumann, Klaus & Pesch, Erwin, 1999. "Resource-constrained project scheduling: Notation, classification, models, and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 3-41, January.
- Mori, Masao & Tseng, Ching Chih, 1997. "A genetic algorithm for multi-mode resource constrained project scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 134-141, July.
- Rainer Kolisch & Arno Sprecher & Andreas Drexl, 1995. "Characterization and Generation of a General Class of Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1693-1703, October.
- Vanhoucke, Mario & Coelho, Jose & Debels, Dieter & Maenhout, Broos & Tavares, Luis V., 2008. "An evaluation of the adequacy of project network generators with systematically sampled networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(2), pages 511-524, June.
- Arno Sprecher, 2000. "Scheduling Resource-Constrained Projects Competitively at Modest Memory Requirements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 710-723, May.
- Ozdamar, Linet & Ulusoy, Gunduz, 1994. "A local constraint based analysis approach to project scheduling under general resource constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 287-298, December.
- Buddhakulsomsiri, Jirachai & Kim, David S., 2007. "Priority rule-based heuristic for multi-mode resource-constrained project scheduling problems with resource vacations and activity splitting," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 374-390, April.
- Kolisch, Rainer & Hartmann, Sonke, 2006. "Experimental investigation of heuristics for resource-constrained project scheduling: An update," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(1), pages 23-37, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:09/595. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.