An Artificial Immune System for the Multi-Mode Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem
In this paper, an Artificial Immune System (AIS) for the multi-mode resource-constrained project scheduling problem (MRCPSP), in which multiple execution modes are available for each of the activities of the project, is presented. The AIS algorithm makes use of mechanisms which are inspired on the vertebrate immune system performed on an initial population set. This population set is generated with a controlled search method, based on experimental results which revealed a link between predefined profit values of a mode assignment and its makespan. The impact of the algorithmic parameters and the initial population generation method is observed and detailed comparative computational results for the MRCPSP are presented.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. Brian Talbot, 1982. "Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling with Time-Resource Tradeoffs: The Nonpreemptive Case," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(10), pages 1197-1210, October.
- Debels, Dieter & Vanhoucke, Mario, 2005.
"A Bi-Population Based Genetic Algorithm for the Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2005-8, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- D. Debels & M. Vanhoucke, 2005. "A Bi-Population Based Genetic Algorithm for the Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 05/294, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ozdamar, Linet & Ulusoy, Gunduz, 1994. "A local constraint based analysis approach to project scheduling under general resource constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 287-298, December.
- Kolisch, Rainer, 1996. "Serial and parallel resource-constrained project scheduling methods revisited: Theory and computation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 320-333, April.
- Kolisch, Rainer & Hartmann, Sonke, 2006. "Experimental investigation of heuristics for resource-constrained project scheduling: An update," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(1), pages 23-37, October.
- Vanhoucke, Mario & Coelho, Jose & Debels, Dieter & Maenhout, Broos & Tavares, Luis V., 2008. "An evaluation of the adequacy of project network generators with systematically sampled networks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(2), pages 511-524, June.
- Rainer Kolisch & Arno Sprecher & Andreas Drexl, 1995. "Characterization and Generation of a General Class of Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1693-1703, October.
- Slowinski, Roman & Soniewicki, Boleslaw & Weglarz, Jan, 1994. "DSS for multiobjective project scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 220-229, December.
- Mori, Masao & Tseng, Ching Chih, 1997. "A genetic algorithm for multi-mode resource constrained project scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 134-141, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:09/555. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.